Solved

First Build List** Input Welcome

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
Item #: N82E16820231277

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Item #: N82E16814102858

MOBO: ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157198

Case: Cooler Master Storm Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196&cm_re=cooler_master_storm-_-11-119-196-_-Product

CD: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support
Item #: N82E16827106335

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=eg7sqs2pl8ct

CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727&cm_re=amd_phenom_ii_x4_965-_-19-103-727-_-Product

Now I need some help with what power supply I should get. Also, With the samsung Bare HDD do I need to buy the wiring for it? Didn't really understand the "bare" part of it.
27 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first build list input welcome
  1. Thinking about doing bundle : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.466906

    Is that a good bargain?

    Some of the combos I am seeing with the processor are pretty expensive (With power supply). How much is a power supply going to run?
  2. Can't seem to open the links.. It all looks good though.. Memory could get a little better with tighter timings..
  3. What would you suggest? I still don't understand the whole power supply >.> Mid tower should be roomy enough right? Am I missing anything. First time building >.<
  4. Best answer
    1. I thought I linked you to a faster G.Skill RAM on your last thread. This RAM is a bit slower & doesn't really save you anything.

    2. I also linked you to an OCZ 550, I think. You certainly won't need anything more than that. Go with an ATX spec Corsair/Antec/Seasonic if you don't like OCZ.

    3. Mid-Towers are good enough for everything. Cases however are a matter of personal preference & you should go with the one that catches your fancy.
  5. Yes, a mid tower (CM Scout in this case) is plenty of room unless ofcourse you are planning up on adding in excess of 4 hard drives.. If you can live without the handle then I'll suggest getting the CM 690 II Advanced.. As for power supply, i am still not clear as to what you do not understand.. The power supply is one of the most critical components in a build.. You need to match it along with your components further making sure that it comes from a quality brand.. Corsair and Antec have quality PSU offerings at decent price.. For your build, the Corsair VX 550W will be plenty.. Further, you can try to get a modular PSU which will help with cable management..
  6. I just didn't understand on how to determine the wattage. I looked around and found an equation and that helped me out.
  7. Emperus said:
    Yes, a mid tower (CM Scout in this case) is plenty of room unless ofcourse you are planning up on adding in excess of 4 hard drives.. If you can live without the handle then I'll suggest getting the CM 690 II Advanced.. As for power supply, i am still not clear as to what you do not understand.. The power supply is one of the most critical components in a build.. You need to match it along with your components further making sure that it comes from a quality brand.. Corsair and Antec have quality PSU offerings at decent price.. For your build, the Corsair VX 550W will be plenty.. Further, you can try to get a modular PSU which will help with cable management..


    I like the case that you suggested. It is a very nice and not to flashy. The reason I was going to go with the other case is because it was in a bundle deal with the CPU. Hehe. Well I think I may have this build figured out but I am going to make another list in the morning and get everyone to check it out to make sure I don't miss anything. I got a question though. What is a Bare dirve? It have no cables or something? Does that mean i wil have to order me some cables? Thank you guys for all the information you have provided me so I can learn. I guess I need to get some anti static bracelets too!
  8. Emperus said:
    Good find.. I was talking about these exactly..


    Thanks man for the suggestion! :D
  9. You can use this - Power Supply Calculator
  10. calguyhunk said:
    You can use this - Power Supply Calculator


    Oh wow nice linkage! That is an awesome reference! Thanks!
  11. Oh! 'bout the Mobo - the 870 chipset is future proof enough unlike the 770/690. You won't need the more expensive 890 GX/FX anyways.

    Asrock is a decent enough brand. Not quite Asus, I suppose, but good enough at this price point.

    Just a little thing - Brands are a personal thing, but I feel slightly more comfortable with LG/Samsung/Sony compared to Lite-On. But then again, it's just me I suppose.

    The rest of your build looks pretty good at this point, unless I'm really missing something.
  12. 03mach1 said:
    I got a question though. What is a Bare dirve? It have no cables or something? Does that mean i wil have to order me some cables? Thank you guys for all the information you have provided me so I can learn. I guess I need to get some anti static bracelets too!
    Bare Drive means that it is just the drive and doesn't contain any cables, manuals, etc. They can sell it for cheaper if they don't include the entire kit.

    It's mostly the OEM version, which typically is meant for companies like Dell, HP etc that build systems and include their own cables, etc, so they just need the drive. Getting it that way is cheaper for retailers, and buying it ends up being cheaper for us :)

    Newegg.com on 'Bare Drives' - " These items come exactly as they are described. Although these items are brand new, they are purchased in bulk and do not include any documentation, software or accessories."

    Your Mobo will come with SATA connectors. As long as you connect only 2 SATA drives (1 HDD & 1 ODD), you won't have to buy any. In any case, they cost just a few bucks. Get 'em from your local store if need be. You won't have to order from the net.

    Anti static bracelets are welcome, but not absolutely necessary. As long as you keep touching a piece of metal with both your hands while assembling, you should be alright. But get that if you want to. Can't really hurt.
  13. calguyhunk said:
    Bare Drive means that it is just the drive and doesn't contain any cables, manuals, etc. They can sell it for cheaper if they don't include the entire kit.

    It's mostly the OEM version, which typically is meant for companies like Dell, HP etc that build systems and include their own cables, etc, so they just need the drive. Getting it that way is cheaper for retailers, and buying it ends up being cheaper for us :)

    Newegg.com on 'Bare Drives' - " These items come exactly as they are described. Although these items are brand new, they are purchased in bulk and do not include any documentation, software or accessories."

    Your Mobo will come with SATA connectors. As long as you connect only 2 SATA drives (1 HDD & 1 ODD), you won't have to buy any. In any case, they cost just a few bucks. Get 'em from your local store if need be. You won't have to order from the net.

    Anti static bracelets are welcome, but not absolutely necessary. As long as you keep touching a piece of metal with both your hands while assembling, you should be alright. But get that if you want to. Can't really hurt.


    That cleared up a lot for me! Thank you! I figured that the mobo would come with the connectors and if I wanted to get more HDD's then I would just have to get the cables for the extra ones. Thanks for the help. I am composing the final list to get some people to do a quick run down
  14. So this is my final build. Help me out and make sure I am not missing anything. Haha. I am going to include an attachment aswell of the shopping cart.

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727&cm_re=amd_phenom-_-19-103-727-_-Product

    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&cm_re=ripjaw-_-20-231-303-_-Product

    MOBO: ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

    PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

    CD/DVD: SAMSUNG 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 4X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24x DVD Burner - Bulk LightScribe Support - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151216

    GPU: SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858

    HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181

    CASE: Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058

    So this is my final build!!(I think) DOes anyone have anything else that they want to add or change out? Advice is awesome :-) This is my first build so I need all the help I can get!

    I already have a monitor and a OS.

  15. I am not particularly fond of OCZ PSU's.. But I'll make an exception here.. It looks good, has a great pricing, is modular and specs suggest it can handle your rig adequately.. So, all combined, its a nice setup..
  16. Sweet and thanks! Is there anything I need for the build though such as tools and such?
  17. 1. Very good build. Couldn't find any realistic faults with it. Just that you can get almost equally roomy cases for half the price. But then, they are a matter of personal preference & if you fancy the nine hundred, go with it.

    Just a suggestion, in case you wanna save a bit - COOLER MASTER HAF 922

    2. A simple Philips crosshead screw-driver will do just fine :)
  18. Any last thoughts on this build? About to press the checkout button!
  19. I think I may be copying this tomorrow after work,lol
  20. flames9 said:
    I think I may be copying this tomorrow after work,lol


    Haha.. Why is that?
  21. I have been looking at very similar components the past few days!! I think 1 change I'm looking at is the video card, the AFX 5850.
  22. not looking to fork out that much for a gsu haha. maybe down the road though.
  23. Best answer selected by 03mach1.
  24. Thanks, man. I appreciate that :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product