Solid State Storage VS Raptor HDD ??

dycegamez

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Hello, Im looking into getting a SSD to replace my Raptor 600gb, I would like to try to get a 600gb or higher ssd but I dont wanna kill my wallet. Also would I be able to use a laptop ssd in my tower? they seem to be cheaper and bigger I think . Your help is greatful thank you

Laptop SSDs and desktop SSDs are pretty much the same. The main difference is that laptop SKUs tend to be packaged with less stuff such as no 2.5" to 3.5" bay adapter.

We might find for a good 480/500/512GB SSD for around $350-450, but if you want more, then be prepared to spend about a thousand dollars at the cheapest for a 960GB PCIe model.

That hybrid hard drive from Seagate is pretty good. It's a 750GB hard drive with an 8GB SLC SSD cache. However, I don't think that it'll compare to a true SSD, especially if you use a lot of data.

I don't know what you mean by rampage, but if you meant your Raptor, then yes, you can use it as a backup drive. It shouldn't slow down the SSD unless you mean RAID 1 which would probably slow down the SSD. However, if you just make regular backups, then it should be fine.

If you're looking to spend so much on an SSD, then I recommend that you consider this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-vtx425sat3512gm

Vertex 4 is one of the fastest SSDs available and considering that I found it for about $400 for the 512GB model, it's very well priced too.