How do I plug in the cables for my optical drive and hard drive?

zhengalanzheng

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
I'm a new pc builder and I have the asrock z77 extreme4 mobo.
I was wondering how do I setup the cables for the hard drive and the optical drive because I finished building my computer and booted it but it showed that the SATA were not detected. So I was wondering what should I do to fix it?

Solution
The power cable(s) for the optical drive and hard drive are the wide cables. The smaller cable is the data cable. A data cable is required for both the optical drive and the hard drive (2 separate cables - 1 for each drive). You plug one end of the data cable into the drive and the other end you plug into the motherboard. As for power, if the cable is a Y cable (2 power connections on one end) coming from the PSU then you should be able to power both drives with that cable depending on the distance between them.

Playbahnosh

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Look at your mobo and the SATA connectors, each connector should have a little label on the board itself like "SATA1", "SATA2", "SATA3" etc. Make sure you start to full up the ports starting from the first. Re-check your cabling (both data and power cables). Also check your BIOS settings if the SATA controllers are not disabled or if your devices support it.

zhengalanzheng

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Okay actually I'm not very sure about what I actually did because this is my first time building a computer.

- I plugged the SATA power cable to PSU, then plugged it into optical drive. Then with the same SATA power cable I plugged it into the hard drive.

-For the SATA data cable, the small one, I plugged it into the optical drive and for the other end of the data cable I plugged it into the hard drive. I think I did it wrong. I mean can you just tell me a step by step cable process on the optical drive and hard drive. That will be really helpful. Then if all goes wrong I'll report back here.

my specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
Case: NZXT Tempest 410 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: NZXT Hale82n 750W PSU
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

The power cable(s) for the optical drive and hard drive are the wide cables. The smaller cable is the data cable. A data cable is required for both the optical drive and the hard drive (2 separate cables - 1 for each drive). You plug one end of the data cable into the drive and the other end you plug into the motherboard. As for power, if the cable is a Y cable (2 power connections on one end) coming from the PSU then you should be able to power both drives with that cable depending on the distance between them.

Solution

zhengalanzheng

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

Ahh thanks for clearing things up :D