Help with installation please

NickCapolupo

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Ok, this is my first time trying to build a computer. Let me start by stating whats in my build, and then Im hoping someone can give me pointers like where to start, and what order to install everything for the parts I have.

Phenom II x4 965 CPU
ASRock Xtreme 770 Mobo
GTX 460 GPU
4gb Kingston HyperX (2 X 2gb) DDR3 1600
OCZ Fatal1ty 550W PSU
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Hard Drive
Samsung DVD Drive
Antec 600 Case

Now for the questions...

1. What should I put in first, Ive seen it done several ways online. Install the CPU on the mobo first? Install the Mobo first? Power supply before or after mobo? etc...

2. The Antec 600 is a bottom mount PSU case. Fan needs to face up on Fatal1ty PSU from what I read, but it is facing down. How do I mount it correctly in this case?

3. If anyone is familiar with my specific components, if you have any pointers, or guidence, anything to help me get through this without breaking anything, I really need the help. I cant afford to replace anything as Im a broke mofo now, so i gotta get it right the first time.

4. CMOS and BIOS are almost a foreign language to me right now. I mean, I get BIOS is like the menu before windows opens where you configure stuff, but thats all I know.

HELP ME!!! Im reay and eager to learn how to put all these goodies together. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Definitely install the cpu and cpu fan out of the case on a piece of cardboard or other non conductive surface material. Main reason for this is, it's a lot easier to verify a correct install when it is out of the case. A good majority of cpu heat issues are because of incorrect cpu heatsink fan installation.

I would also put all the drives in first,as well as the psu,so your not poking around the motherboard with metal objects.

Edit: You should also read the motherboard manual and put the proper amount of standoffs in the case before anything. Don't blindly fill all the holes with the brass standoffs. If you do that, you run the risk of shorting the motherboard if there's a standoff where there is no hole for one, just FWI.

Place the motherboard on a non conductive surface, such as a phonebook or the box it came in. Install just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of memory, and the video cable from your monitor (or use the separate card if your board has no onboard video). Connect the ps 24 pin atx and 4 or 8 pin 12v connector. Use a plain flathead screwdriver and touch the 2 pins for the power switch on the motherboard. They are located in the case connector cluster of pins. You may also connect your keyboard. If the board posts, go into the bios and set the boot order cd(dvd)>hardrive, save and exit. Then install any remaining memory. Check the standoffs in the case; remove any that don't line up with the motherboard holes. Install the backplate by pressing it from the inside out; be sure it's flush and square, all corners even. Move any case wiring out of the way, tying down if necessary. I try to install the board with the power supply out of the case if possible. Then face the board ports up, sliding the other end of the board under the case cages (for the optical and hardrives). Then carefully lower the side of the board with the ports inside the backplate; if you have enough clearance, then you can slide the ports into the backplate area. You only need 4-6 holes to line up to install the board. If some of the board holes don't have a screw, it's ok. Then snug down the mounting screws; don't overtighten. Then install any cards next in the desired slot. Then install the power supply if needed in the case. Next comes the 12v and 24 pin atx connectors from the power supply. After that, install any usb connectors from the front of the case, and the sound lead from the dvd drive. Check the cluster and you may find a pin missing; use this info to find the right pin cluster on the motherboard, or read the manual/instructions; some boards don't even come with a manual, just an instruction sheet. Or you can use another pc to download the manual while you install. Next install any sata or ide cables off the optical and hardrives. Finally, install the case leads for the power switch, power led, reset, etc. That cluster is all low voltage, so you can move them around until all the case indicator lights work. Good luck.

NickCapolupo

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
true. If Im using a stock CPU fan, doesnt it come attached to the CPU already? If not, then yeah, Ill do it this way, makes sense. Do you know how I hook up this power supply to this case? It says have the fan facing up, but the fan is facing down on the PSU..

sorlark

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I work on and build custom PCs for a living. I'm around other techs who do the same ( obviously ), my point is, "to each his own" with how you go about installing/building a new machine.

Biggest thing I can stress is always READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS, EVEN IF THEY SUCK! I see techs get into trouble to often from getting ahead of themselves on a build. Most of the time you will need to mozy on over to the manufacturer's website for better documentation. Sometimes there is non at all, either with the product or on the website. If that happens, obviously google is or come to a site like this.

The air is dry right now. Anti-static precautions are really important during the colder months. If you have an Anti-Static wrist strap, use that. If not then every single time you go to touch your machine, touch a nearby piece of metal, ( doorknob, filing cabinet) then touch the casing or PSU, do this often. Even better, if you have a humidifier then get that puppy into the room and leave it to run with the door shut for a while. get to 65% or so of humidity.

Also handle your parts with care! Try not to touch the circuits ( I know its hard not to sometimes ) Always pick them up using the edges of the board.

Personally, whether I install the cpu before I put the MoBo in, just depends on if I'm in a hurry, and the type of case. If you bought an aftermarket CPU cooler, check your instructions! Most have an extra part that goes on the bottom of the MoBo.
Take your care and look it over good. Look for best places for routing cables ( if you care ). Install CD-roms and depending on how your HD housing is, your HDs as well.

Now, whip out your MoBo, Slap the cpu and ram on it. Careful with your CPU, be sure you are seated correctly as with certain sockets, I still cringe a little bit from the amount of force it can take to close the gate over the CPU. (Gate = metal housing with the lever). Leave your Graphics off till after mobo is in, that beast will get in your way. I suggest it be one of the last things.

Now, Drop in your MoBo, then drop in your PSU. And don't worry about the fan pointing down. (there should be a small amount of space between the bottom of the case and PSU bottom after you have the screws in tight, again depends on case.) Now, you have 2 options for the Fan on the bottom issue. For one, I own an Antec NineHundred. I bought a PSU with 2 fans on it so it pulls air from the front then out the back. So you can swap out your PSU. >OR< Take a dremel and cut yourself a grill ont he bottom of your case :)~ As long as you don't have parts in it when u do it... you're gtg man. Be very sure that no metal filings hang around, short waiting to happen right there.

Now then, we have our CD/DVD in, Mobo w/ cpu & mem, and our PSU. Install your Hard Disk(s). Finally, your graphics card and any other addon cards ( be sure it goes in PCIe port 1).

Begin connecting data cables and do management as you see fit. ( a clean case, aka, not a rats nest of cables, will allow for better air flow, thus better cooling.) Then your power cables. You may have to use some force on the 20/24pin mobo power. Be CAREFULL, stick your finger under the edge of the mobo if when you insert that plug. You don't want to have your board flexing.

Go back over and check your work. If it looks good, power it up, go into your BIOS ( usually del key, splash screen will tell you ) and check to see that all your hardware is registering itself properly. If not you may need to either change a setting or two, OR, flash your BIOS (not as scary of a task as it used to be, and can be done with a USB flash drive). Main spec to check is your graphics cards settings in your BIOS. Most of the time you need to set the "Amount of RAM" correctly. So change that to whatever the amount is. Also check the other settings, use some common sense. Put your Windows disk in your drive, Save changes and reboot. Install windows. have fun!

On a lot of the builds I do, the customers want overclocking. Since most of the components you bought qualify as "Enthusiast" you can go have some fun in your BIOS overclocking. Most makers now have what I refer to as "Dummy Overclocking" were you will find a menu in the BIOS were you can just say, 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%.. and it will make the changes required for you. Most of the time 5% or 10% is stable ( no random crashes ) when you get up to 15% or more, Overclocking requires subtle voltage and timing changes. Unless you go read up on it, I don't advise ever changing a voltage setting, and if/when you do, you go by very small increments. You will find a lot of overclocking guides online, just realize not all components are the same, even if they are the same. Makes no sense right? you can have 2 cps from the same wafer, but one tests out faster than another, so its labeled faster and sold at a higher price. If you have noticed when reading reviews, people talking about "Unlocking" cores, especially on AMD cpus? That's my whole point. Those CPU's are actually higher grade, but just weren't quite able to qualify for the branding of said higher grade. So they disable the extra cores and sell it cheaper. There is no guarantee it will work every time.

I apologize, I believe I got wordy :)
If you need more help reply back. I'll check back periodically.

NickCapolupo

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
that was pretty detailed, ima give it a go. Also, with the PSU, i just mounted it with the writing down and the fan facing up. Is that okay? I have the antec 600, it has a big huge exhaust fan on top. Hope thats fine, other than that, ill let you know after tonight if there is anything I didnt understand (gonna try and finish it tonight, my last few parts finally came in)