Added 4 GB Memory and system now unstable

level9phreak

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hello,

I have a custom built pc with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300. Previously I had 4 GB (2x2) of Patriot memory installed running 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. Because of the development work that I do I decided I was going to enter the world of 64-bit and decided to purchase another 4 GB of Patriot memory. I installed the memory and did a clean install of 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate and that went fine. After installing some core applications such as anti-virus and internet browsers I experience a total lockup where I couldn't use the mouse or anything and had to power off the machine. I shrugged it off and continued on, I left the machine on overnight to install some games and it blue screened. This made me start to question what was going on, so I re-seated the new memory and installed Prime 95 to test the system's stability. Within 2 minutes every test thread reported errors on Prime 95. So I removed the 4 GB I just purchased and tried it again. Prime 95 ran for an hour with no issues before I decided to stop the test.

Could the new memory be faulty? The system POST's correctly with the new memory installed. Also, I had no lockup or stability issues with the other 4 GB of memory and 32-bit Windows.

Solution
Correct. Now, judging by your question, I assume you haven't manually configured the rest of your RAM settings, either. You'll want to do this, too. While in the BIOS (and it may take some time, if you're not familiar with doing this), set your DRAM frequency (MHz) and Timing (represented as CAS, tRCD, tRP, tRAS) to the values shown on the stickers on your RAM (would look like this: X-X-X-X X.XV, where "X" is a numerical value (9-9-9-21 1.5V, for example)). Just remember, add .1 to the DRAM voltage. So, using the same example, if your RAM is 1.5V then set your DRAM voltage to 1.6V.

level9phreak

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Yes, the memory is actually the exact same as what I have installed currently. I have 4 GB in 2 sticks of Patriot that I purchased from Microcenter locally, and I purchased the exact same Patriot memory (4 GB 2 sticks) from Newegg.

I haven't done much with trying to RMA computer components so I wanted to be pretty sure that the memory was faulty before starting the process.

Correct. Now, judging by your question, I assume you haven't manually configured the rest of your RAM settings, either. You'll want to do this, too. While in the BIOS (and it may take some time, if you're not familiar with doing this), set your DRAM frequency (MHz) and Timing (represented as CAS, tRCD, tRP, tRAS) to the values shown on the stickers on your RAM (would look like this: X-X-X-X X.XV, where "X" is a numerical value (9-9-9-21 1.5V, for example)). Just remember, add .1 to the DRAM voltage. So, using the same example, if your RAM is 1.5V then set your DRAM voltage to 1.6V.

Solution