Batman AA goty - Burning up one of my GTX 480's in sli

solidnickel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Bought Batman AA goty edition after it went on sale via steam...

While I rented this on the xbox awhile back, I figured I would buy it and beat it on the pc considering the added physx and so far; the game kicks ass!

I figured nothing could stop my mighty GTX 480's maxed out; had everything maxed out @ 1920x1200 and I noticed that my top card is cooking at a blazing 100 plus degrees! while the bottom card is normal at the usual 79 degrees. No other game has heated either one of my cards up this hot.

I figured its gotta be physx creating more workload on the top card; perhaps the solution is disabling sli and using the other card as physx?

Anyone else experience the same issue? (btw, using afterburner as my fan control and monitoring)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Isn't 100c fairly typical of a stressed 480?

sounds to me just like this is simply a game capable of stressing one the cards. but not both, hence why one is lower.

but i'm sure that anything up to 120c on a 480 is considered safe. which is why its not a very popular card.

solidnickel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

I figured it out, disabled SLI and used the other as dedicated physx; the game runs just as good maxed out and now the temps do not top 60 degrees...

I do have the cards spaced out on my Evga SLI board, looks like this game would burn up one gtx 480 without a dedicated physx card though.

solidnickel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

Did you max out the physx to full? I think its the game and SLI because the my cards do not even break over 79*C when playing Metro 2033, Crysis, BFBC 2, just cause or any other heavy game in SLI

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Have you tried running furmark or MSI's Kombustor [Essentially a DX11 version] those will actually stress your video cards to the limit and allow you to determine your temperatures under full load. After two hours of Kombustor my GTX 470 hits 88*C with 86% fan speed. [It's overclocked, hence the temperature jump over default]. SLI in game may not actually be stressing both of your cards equally and cannot deliver accurate load temperatures. Once you've figured out your real load temperatures I'd adjust fan speed accordingly. Let us know how what happens, but of course don't let the cards get above 100*C.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/
^^^ overclocking tool that comes bundled with Kombustor

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
^^^ non-DX11 Stress tester