Sign in with
Your question

Intel SRT on the same SSD as my operating system

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2012 12:11:48 PM

When reading the Intel Smart Response Technology User Guide it says:

11. Select the size from the SSD to be allocated for the cache memory.
Note: Any remaining space on the SSD may be used for data storage
data single-disk RAID 0 volume that is automatically created.

Questions:

Can I run Intel SRT on the same SSD as my operating system, (allocating SRT cache memory to an area of unused disk space after I have installed the operating system)?

Or would i need to partition my SSD first - install the operating system on half and then run the SRT on the other?

Or do you need a completely separate/independent SSD to use SRT?

Thanks for your time.

M.
a c 85 G Storage
December 5, 2012 12:29:28 PM

You don't need SRT at all, if your os runs from a SSD.
December 5, 2012 12:38:03 PM

Sorry i did not explain - I would like to have the improved bandwidth that SRT offers to increase the performance off a separate, larger HDD - this is for audio production and the large sample libraries that I use. I am not concerned about making the operating system respond faster as it is already on the SSD.

I would just like to know whether or not I can use a section of the SSD that the operating system is on to enhance another HDD or whether I would need a separate SSD?
Related resources
December 5, 2012 12:39:01 PM

noidea_77 said:
You don't need SRT at all, if your os runs from a SSD.

Sorry i did not explain - I would like to have the improved bandwidth that SRT offers to increase the performance off a separate, larger HDD - this is for audio production and the large sample libraries that I use. I am not concerned about making the operating system respond faster as it is already on the SSD.

I would just like to know whether or not I can use a section of the SSD that the operating system is on to enhance another HDD or whether I would need a separate SSD?
April 1, 2014 10:53:38 PM

Any answers ??
a b G Storage
April 1, 2014 11:04:08 PM

So, if you use a larger SSD, you can set aside a portion of the SSD for storage and not caching. A 128 GB SSD could use 32 GB for caching and the remaining 96 GB for storage. Now, activity on the cache partition can slow down the storage partition and vice versa, but you wouldn't notice in most daily activity.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan
April 1, 2014 11:16:06 PM

cryan said:
So, if you use a larger SSD, you can set aside a portion of the SSD for storage and not caching. A 128 GB SSD could use 32 GB for caching and the remaining 96 GB for storage. Now, activity on the cache partition can slow down the storage partition and vice versa, but you wouldn't notice in most daily activity.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan

I see what you mean in that case Christopher. I created my own thread with similar problem but more personalized, if you could take a look and give me your opinion on it, it would help me a lot. This is the link to my thread : http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2090035/intel-sr...

Thank you in advance
!