Sign in with
Your question

20 Pin Power Supply to 24 Pin Motherboard

Last response: in Components
November 19, 2010 6:13:16 PM

Greetings everyone,

I am currently in the process of building a new computer for my dad. So far the specs I have is:

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
XFX PVT95GZAFG GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
(Subject to change)

My dad is not a gamer, so it is not a really high end build, so I have a old 400W PSU that I would like to re-use. The problem is that it only has a 20 pin power connector.

I know that you can use a 20 pin PSU with a 24 pin motherboard, as long as the system isn't too demanding, but I don't want to take any chances. I already read that 20 pin to 24 pin adapters are useless since it doesn't change the current going into the mobo.

So can I convert a 4 pin molex connector to that +4 pin atx mobo power? Do those adapters exist? Is it recommended?

I don't mind buying a new 24 pin PSU, but I would like to re-use my old one.

Thank you for you time and any help.
a b ) Power supply
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 19, 2010 7:13:28 PM

My hp came with an old 20 pin connector installed in a 24 pin port. Your old ps should work fine if it has all the connectors you need.
m
l
November 19, 2010 8:38:16 PM

Thanks for the reply o1die. I did some more research. It seems I can't convert a 4 pin molex to that +4 pin main power adapter since the molex doesn't give 3.3V. I guess I will stay on the safe side and just buy a new 24 pin PSU. This way, if my dad wants to upgrade in the future, the PSU should be fine then.
m
l
!