Sign in with
Your question

New gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
August 30, 2010 6:29:25 PM

Hi all,

I have a hp slimline PC which has worked well for me with older games and meeting basic student needs, however I never realized how lacking slimline PSU and GPU are. Until these new games came out with their uber-high sys-reqs. So I want to play FFXIV and SC2 so i'm ordering this new rig. Its already ordered, but I just wanted to know some feedback if I made some good choices or bad and if you think I should be able to handle these games well.

AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X6 1055T

Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] and Standard 120mm Fan

4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1600

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 - 2GB - Single Card

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 -- AMD 870 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16

700 Watt PSU

1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive

(Also I dont know much about motherboards if anyone could explain the components and what to look for and what they mean would be appreciated.)

Thanks.

More about : gaming rig

August 30, 2010 6:34:03 PM

Who did you buy it from? the "700W PSU" isnt very specific and doesnt seem like you are getting a good quality unit that will handle upgrades in the future. I would have gone for a 1GB 460 unless the 2GB version was only a tiny bit more.

What liquid cooling system does it come with, asetek or corsair or some random brand?

The X6 isnt going to do great for gaming, its clocked lower than the quads and since very few games can use 4 cores(SC2 only uses 2) its extra cores provide no benefit in gaming and its reduce clock speed hurts you a bit.
!