Sign in with
Your question
Solved

On board audio gives off strange static. Help?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 15, 2011 9:14:27 PM

So I built my first computer last December. And it went well, but I'm getting strange and annoying static, which is a problem because I leave my earphones on all day regardless of if I have anything playing or not. The static seems to respond to when I click and things, most noticeably when I plug a USB device into the front of the case, then I have to take my earphones off it's so loud. And yes it's not just the case because, even though it's a little clearer when I plug my earphones in the back (directly in the motherboard) I still get the same static, not very lessened. So I was wondering if there's anything I could try to fix this, because I don't wanna have to buy a sound card.

Specs: ASRock M3A770DE motherboard with VIA VT1708S on-board audio
APEX PC-389-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Windows 7 (if that matters)
The rest is kind of irrelevant I think.

More about : board audio strange static

a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 3:46:44 AM

Is it static, or is it Windows sounds?
m
l
July 16, 2011 3:50:04 AM

PreferLinux said:
Is it static, or is it Windows sounds?

No, it's static. Like light and annoying continuous background screeching and static.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 3:55:40 AM

My suggestion would be to buy USB headphones/headset, and use that instead.
m
l
July 16, 2011 3:58:22 AM

PreferLinux said:
My suggestion would be to buy USB headphones/headset, and use that instead.

It's not my headphones either, if that's what you're implying. If the source is the motherboard (which I think it is), I don't think that will help.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 4:06:50 AM

Yes it would, as it is the sound card that isn't functioning correctly. Using USB headphones bypasses the sound card completely, so they should not have a problem.
m
l
July 16, 2011 4:09:21 AM

PreferLinux said:
Yes it would, as it is the sound card that isn't functioning correctly. Using USB headphones bypasses the sound card completely, so they should not have a problem.

But I used a USB to headphone jack and that didn't do anything, the static was still there. Does that make a difference?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 4:29:35 AM

No, so chances are that it is more a driver problem rather than motherboard or sound card. Unless the static is being introduced into the headphone cables, but you'd know if that was the case.
m
l
July 16, 2011 4:39:18 AM

PreferLinux said:
No, so chances are that it is more a driver problem rather than motherboard or sound card. Unless the static is being introduced into the headphone cables, but you'd know if that was the case.

Drivers are up to date, I'm pretty sure. So it's a software problem, not a hardware problem is what you're saying right?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 5:02:24 AM

Well, I don't see how it is going to be software, but I don't see that you can get noise out of the USB port unless it is from software. Unless the noise is from the PSU, which could be the case.
m
l
July 16, 2011 5:38:45 AM

PreferLinux said:
Well, I don't see how it is going to be software, but I don't see that you can get noise out of the USB port unless it is from software. Unless the noise is from the PSU, which could be the case.

Is there a way I can test to see if it's the PSU?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 6:02:36 AM

VIA sound, that is why you have static. Ive heard static on various onboard audio codecs, your best bet is to get a sound card.
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 8:03:14 AM

Only way to test if it is the PSU would be to replace it, really.
m
l
July 26, 2011 3:24:20 AM

Best answer selected by Markery.
m
l
!