So, I had a previous thread pertaining to one of the processors I'll be using in my build. However, no one was actually able to help me out. I'll be picking up my motherboard, and cpu on the same day next week, and want to ensure I am making the right choice.
I have done extensive research on the two processors, and they are both good from what I can see. However, I may not need the 875k just now. I saw a review on the i5 655k and this processor was able to hit 4.5GHz 24/7 (apparently)...And for benchmarks it was performing quite nicely, especially for gaming..And FYI, I would be mostly using the cpu for gaming, applications, and light video editing and picture editing..perhaps a little compression here and there...
Now, the i5 processor is at a very good price, especially since I know someone that can get me a good deal on it...the thing is, I want to get a GTX 580 (subject to change depending on the 69** radeon cards debuting next month)...so will this i5 655k cause a bottleneck to a card like the GTX580? And, if so which card would you recommend...or should I reconsider and get an i7875k?
Your help is much appreciated guys
What is your budget for your CPU and Motherboard? I would recommed the i5-760(you can still get a nice OC out of it) or an i7-950(its a power house for real cheap), and if you happen to live near a Microcenter you win!
Well as of now I would still suggest the i5-760 or the i7-950, you definatly want a quad-core for "future proofing" as they call it. If you want to do some CPU comparisons of your own check out this handy tool: AnandTech Bench , if you have not already.
yeah for sure...but i have been aggressively been doing research on all the processors..and the sandy bridge processors look like they have some serious potential..additionally, i know someone that can get me some deals on the items once they debut..so im wondering..should i wait? or should I get something for now..prices may drop right? for current processors and motherboards...but im actually gonna build two cpus..once specifically for gaming, and some multimedia (movies)..and one for productivity, schooling, and editing, compressions, etc...so..im stuck ...this stuff gets really frustrating because the options are endless
If your are interested in SandyBridge then Yes, by all means wait. They are showing a ~10% to ~15% potential increase in performance over the current Intel line-up. You could build a gaming PC based off those CPU's and your productivity PC off a discounted i5 once SandyBridge is out. But if your looking to be doing editing and compression on one PC and Gaming on another, your really looking at build two high performance PC's, because you want quad-core power to do both of those things, maybe even a six-core if you do heavy editing and compression.
I believe the prices will fall on the current gen CPU's but it may take a month or two for them to hit there low spot where they will probably stay to obsolescence. So if your doing two builds, maybe an i5 for the work and the i7-950 or SandyBridge i7-2600 for the gaming? Thats a call I cant really make for you
If your are interested in SandyBridge then Yes, by all means wait. They are showing a ~10% to ~20% potential increase in performance over the current Itel line-up. You could build a gaming PC based off those CPU's and your productivity PC off a discounted i5 once SandyBridge is out. But if your looking to be doing editing and compression on one PC and Gaming on another, your really looking at build two high performance PC's, because you want quad-core power to do both of those things, maybe even a six-core if you do heavy editing and compression.
I believe the prices will fall on the current gen CPU's but it may take a month or two for them to hit there low spot where they will probably stay to obsolescence. So if your doing two builds, maybe an i5 for the work and the i7-950 of SandyBridge i7-2600 for the gaming? Thats a call I cant really make for you
Just took a look at the article ...pretty damn interesting...damn...thank you for all that..i have to make two builds for sure..as I am not going to be the only one using the cpu, A, and B, they will both serve different purposes..whether or not the prices go down drastically I can already get some really good discounts on current cpu's and mobos..I just need to determine which parts ill use for my two set ups...I was thinking for my compression and editing what whatnot i could use the amd 6 core processor, and overclock it...i was trying to do some video encoding the other day and thats when I realized it was so slow! So, perhaps the amd processor and a good mobo for productivity and the new sandy procs for my gaming setup would be good? help me out! I'm getting closer to making some confident decisions ..
If you want to go with the AMD 1090T I believe it is or something similar(I think they have 3, 6-core chips), then just make sure to find some benchmarks, reviews, or personal accounts of how well it performs the tasks you want it to like encoding, editing, compression and such. I know the core-to-core and Intel is faster, but Intel cannot comepete with AMD's prices, I seen the AMD Phenom II X6 1075T on Newegg.com for $199 + $20 credit or something.
As for your gaming PC thats an easy choice, at least IMO. The i7-950 or i7-2600 and if you need to work in a budget i5-760 or a i5-2500, just wait and see what the prices are after the SandyBridge release and maybe some performance numbers, then make your choice based off those. The socket 2011 is coming in Q3 or Q4 but I doubt you want to or can wait that long it seems.
Waiting is a bit difficult to be honest..but I don't want to make any hasty decisions and regret them later either...I think I'll wait for the processors and motherboards coming out in January...I'll eventually have to build two computers so that's why If I started building now it wouldnt be such a bad thing..but, if the procs coming out in January are as good as I'm hearing then ill invest in a good motherboard and processor for my gaming build..later on in the year my second build will be based off the newest socket...I'm not too concerned with the slight performance boost..but having something new and more effective wouldnt be so bad...prices may go down on current processors though, and if thats the case it makes sense to make my gaming build around the i5760 and just get a good video card