Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dedicated server system requirements

Tags:
  • Dedicated Server
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 2:53:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

What kind of system will i need to run a dedicated ut2004 server to just
play with some games via the net, say 4-5 players? how much bandwidth will i
need per user?

More about : dedicated server system requirements

April 9, 2005 3:49:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Ralf Glauberman wrote:

> What kind of system will i need to run a dedicated ut2004 server to just
> play with some games via the net, say 4-5 players? how much bandwidth will
> i need per user?



google *is* your friend :) 

Results 1 - 10 of about 666 for ut2004 server bandwidth requirements. (0.32
seconds)


--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk LE2005 10.2 2.6.11.1
My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:03:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

I know it is, but i've looked through the first 10 results and found
absolutly nothing, checked the official sites but without any success, so
would you mind simply telling be what it takes to run a server?

> google *is* your friend :) 
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 666 for ut2004 server bandwidth requirements.
> (0.32
> seconds)
Related resources
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:03:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

I think you can do it on any Internet connection but they recommend a
broadband connect. I tried it once with my high speed cable
connection but it only provides 56K for uploads. If you have the
computer it does not cost you anything to give it try. Just click Host
Game. :-)

Ak


On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:03:18 +0200, "Ralf Glauberman"
<ralfglauberman@gmx.de> wrote:

>I know it is, but i've looked through the first 10 results and found
>absolutly nothing, checked the official sites but without any success, so
>would you mind simply telling be what it takes to run a server?
>
>> google *is* your friend :) 
>>
>> Results 1 - 10 of about 666 for ut2004 server bandwidth requirements.
>> (0.32
>> seconds)
>
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 8:04:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

sid wrote:
> Ralf Glauberman wrote:

> google *is* your friend :) 

Google is not your friend, prick.
>
> Results 1 - 10 of about 666 for ut2004 server bandwidth requirements.
> (0.32 seconds)

As OP points out, you won't find the actual answer in many if any of those
results.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 8:07:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Ralf Glauberman wrote:
> What kind of system will i need to run a dedicated ut2004 server to
> just play with some games via the net, say 4-5 players? how much
> bandwidth will i need per user?

You control how much bandwidth is allocated per player. Let's say you have
256 upload and you want to host 4 players. Divide your 256 by 4 and
multiply it to relate to bytes per second and put that number in as
netspeed.

UT2K4 benefits from a little higher netspeed than UT did, but most people
will find it playable at or just below ISDN speeds. But anyway, check this
out http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-5... .
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:31:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

thanks, that's the answer i've been looking for.
are the systemrequirements the same for server as for the game (except the
graphic) or can a server run on a slower machine?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:31:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Ralf Glauberman wrote:
> thanks, that's the answer i've been looking for.
> are the systemrequirements the same for server as for the game
> (except the graphic) or can a server run on a slower machine?

It can run on a slower machine. Depending on the load, (how many players),
you can get by with not much processor. Once you get into half a dozen
players or more, you will really notice server lag if you are running on
anything too slow.

I don't recommend anything under 1 Ghz for a UT2k4 server, but there is one
on my LAN that is a PIII 733 and it seems to do OK. I noticed some server
lag during a 12 player game recently. YMMV depending on other factors such
as available memory, hard drive speed, etc. - UT is another story entirely.
I've had a K62 400 with 256 PC-100 and an ATA-66 HDD serving UT to a bunch
of people on my LAN for several years now and it has never so much as
coughed once even under load ;) 
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:58:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

"§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:_7adncWa683oYsffRVn-gw@bresnan.com...
> I've had a K62 400 with 256 PC-100 and an ATA-66 HDD serving UT to a bunch
> of people on my LAN for several years now and it has never so much as
> coughed once even under load ;) 
>
>


I use to run a standard UT server on a pentium 200 NO mmx ;o)

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:35:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

sid wrote:
> §ï×darts wrote:

> What did you add to the tread, prick.

Not a reader, eh? Message-ID: <e--dnV2wqOvBacffRVn-rQ@bresnan.com> and
Message-ID: <zM6dnYX4dNGOaMffRVn-uA@bresnan.com> and Message-ID:
<_7adncWa683oYsffRVn-gw@bresnan.com> are what I added to the thread. The
first one is where I told you what a wanker you are. The second one is
where I answered the OPs question. And, the third one is where I answered
the OPs subsequesnt question that he needed an answer to after getting the
first answer. Check the message ID on this one too so you can see that I
had to tell you off again and explain how it is that you need to read to
understand how posters contribute to threads.

Toddle off, now.
April 13, 2005 10:53:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

§ï×darts wrote:


> Not a reader, eh? Message-ID: <e--dnV2wqOvBacffRVn-rQ@bresnan.com> and
> Message-ID: <zM6dnYX4dNGOaMffRVn-uA@bresnan.com> and Message-ID:
> <_7adncWa683oYsffRVn-gw@bresnan.com> are what I added to the thread. The
> first one is where I told you what a wanker you are. The second one is
> where I answered the OPs question. And, the third one is where I answered
> the OPs subsequesnt question that he needed an answer to after getting the
> first answer.

I'll put this straight now then, the first post was you showing what a rude
prick you are, the second one provided a link which is the second result in
the search string I provided originally, or was that a mistake and no use
afterall?, the third one is you showing us how you like the sound of your
own voice again.

> Check the message ID on this one too so you can see that I
> had to tell you off again and explain how it is that you need to read to
> understand how posters contribute to threads.

I'm glad your here to explain how all this works, my poor little head was
about to explode with the strain of it all.

Thanks

--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk LE2005 10.2 2.6.11.1
My barber's getting very hard of hearing,
I asked him to make me look like a *count*.....
April 14, 2005 11:42:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

On 2005-04-12, Margolis <someone@somewhere.org> wrote:
> "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:_7adncWa683oYsffRVn-gw@bresnan.com...
>> I've had a K62 400 with 256 PC-100 and an ATA-66 HDD serving UT to a bunch
>> of people on my LAN for several years now and it has never so much as
>> coughed once even under load ;) 
> I use to run a standard UT server on a pentium 200 NO mmx ;o)

AMD 486dx4-100 w/72M EDO RAM, ran a 1on1 425 UT server <grin>.

--
Solar-powered Linux: Slackware 10.0, 2.6.11.7, Averatec 3250H1
RLU#272755
!