Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD Maintenance/House Keeping

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2012 2:23:25 PM

Alright, so I have two questions for the group.

1. I have a game installed on my SSD/boot drive and want to move it over to my storage drive because I don't want to play it anymore, but may want to log on (it's and MMORG) and say hi to folks in the guild from time to time. To keep my SSD as clean as possible, should I run the uninstall program on it and reinstall it on the HDD storage drive, or can I just copy the folder containing the .exe file and all the other files for game over to the HDD and just delete the files from the SSD? My guess is that peeps are going to say uninstall/reinstall, but my laziness will probably not end up reinstalling :) 

2, I am new to Google Chrome, having just installed it on my new system. I have a gripe with it though that whenever I download something from the web, it automatically saves the download to my SSD boot drive, which is where Chrome is installed. I've tried checking the settings to change the default drive to download files to and haven't found anything. How can I get it to download files to my storage drive instead, to minimize writes to my SSD?

Thanks!

Best solution

December 5, 2012 2:34:34 PM

mrloafy said:
Alright, so I have two questions for the group.
2, I am new to Google Chrome, having just installed it on my new system. I have a gripe with it though that whenever I download something from the web, it automatically saves the download to my SSD boot drive, which is where Chrome is installed. I've tried checking the settings to change the default drive to download files to and haven't found anything. How can I get it to download files to my storage drive instead, to minimize writes to my SSD?

Thanks!

Check out this link: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&an...
a c 80 G Storage
December 5, 2012 2:52:34 PM

Use a junction to move the game from the SSD to the HDD without having to re-install.

I use a utility called Steam Mover to do this. It was designed to manage Steam games, but can be used for anything, and makes it easy to create the junction point, and move the data.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2012 3:39:10 PM

Best answer selected by mrloafy.
m
l
!