Dell e510 With a 5850

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I have an old Dell e510. I am planning on getting a new rig, but waiting for me to get the parts at christmas and want the black friday deals. So i plan on getting the 5850/650 Watt PSU/Wifi Card/Windows 7. I want to test all the parts i get so i can return to newegg if any problems arise.

1.) My problem is that the e510 is technicly not supposed to support dual slot graphics cards. I have a 9600GT and if the heatsink were to go to the end of the card it would be pretty close (The CPU heatsink is very large). It is also BTX which means the card faces up not down, so i run into the shroud for the heatsink. Is there any way for me to 'Mod' my case to do a 30 minute test that doesn't require money and can be fixed? :lol:

I don't think there is any way without really messing stuff up so (I can supply picts if you guys are up for the challenge :p)....

2.) If not does the 'Geek Squad' test components (Since the e510 is the only Desktop I have)?? And how much would that be?

Edit- Oops didn't mean to make a new post :p. Sorry all!

Not really, being that it's BTX and only single slot card capable you would have to cut part of the backplate out and most likely part of the heatsink shroud.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
for the almost $300 for the HD5850 and the power supply you can get a combo deal from newegg and have most of an AMD build..

I have my eyes set on the combo deal with the XFX 5850 and the XFX 650 Watt PSU. Then ill be picking up a Wireless card, and maybe an OS... And ill be testing all the hardware, and the only thing I won't be able to test is the 5850 (And of course the OS).

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
If you know anyone that will let you put it into there PC for a test run, or maybe barrow one from work if possible :) I would say thats the best route for you.

[Begin Rant] I would NEVER advise my worst enemies to use GeekSquad or give a penny of your hard earned money to Worst Buy. As you can tell I have been burned really bad by them both with a defective LCD TV I bought from them and after 6 months of red tape, countless hours on the phone and trips to the store 15mi away, along with four house calls for them to "atempt" to fix it, I have come to learn what they are both all about, and its not good my freind, not good at ALL![End Rant]

[:boudy]

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Love your rant :lol:. I agree i didn't like best buy at all, more like hated, and i hated that I shopped there on occasion. And it seems that generally thats the story. Strangely here (I moved a while ago) they seem to be very nice and I've returned a TV, GPU, and a Router. They were very nice and helped me out, and gladly took the returns and asked if i needed help picking an alternate. Pretty damn nice costumer service compared to what im used to with best buy.

Anyways, ill see if i can't grab someone else's rig for a few hours and test it. Thanks for all your guy's help!

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Yep it would be :). But sadly, the PC is about as upgraded as it can get... Thats why im a building a new one :). Getting some parts for Christmas :lol:.

Oh are there any good 30$ish cases shipped? I have a few 50$ ones on my list, but i want to keep the price to a bare minimum. haha remember i want to fit 1 5850 in there then later add another :).

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
You kind of have the right idea gidgiddonihah, but I believe he means something like this: Breadboarding, A simple search you'll find alot of info about Breadboarding a PC.

$30 shipped for a case is really pushing it and limiting our choices, maybe $30 + S/H is more realalistic and will give you a wider range of options. To get the best deal you have to keep an eye on Newegg.com sales for a case, im sure Rosewill will have one in that range but as for the room for a 5850 andthe quality, I do not know.

You can check out this list from Newegg.com - Cases for $10-$50

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
It has plenty of cooling and if you like the looks, those are the most important things, along with being able to fit your 5850(which it should @ 9.5" long). The only thing I would be put off buy is that it only fits CPU coolers up to 155mm and some nice cooling towers are just above that at 155mm-160mm, but that is only an issue if you ever decide to buy such a cooler. But other than that I like the painted inside and the included fans and cooling options.