Is it OK to take out the power LED on MB?

Meatymutawings

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hello,

I have a ASUS P8H67-M motherboard, my computer has been make a terrible coil whine (a really high pitch squelch sound) since the day I put it together. I thought it's a PSU problem, however after changing three different PSUs my attention went to the motherboard, and I noticed the sound actually goes on and off with the power LED. I do have the option of exchanging for a new motherboard, but then I would have to take out everything, destroy my thermal paste and pay for shipping, or I can just smack out the useless power LED. But will it damage my motherboard? Is there any other options?

Thank you very much.

Solution
It will not be the LED itself, but rather something else that goes on and off with the power LED. Your best option would be to replace the board, as it is probably something around the CPU voltage regulator or similar.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
It will not be the LED itself, but rather something else that goes on and off with the power LED. Your best option would be to replace the board, as it is probably something around the CPU voltage regulator or similar.

Solution