Sign in with
Your question

Right choice for me?

Last response: in CPUs
November 19, 2010 9:46:50 PM

I have the opportunity to buy the following packages:

Intel® Core™ i7 970 Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-115-...

Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO Extreme-series
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sid Meier’s Civilization V*

For $395

OR

Intel® Core™ i7 970 Processor

Sid Meier’s Civilization V*

For $215

I will be using one of these to build a gaming PC. I want to know if the DX58SO Extreme is worth the extra money in terms of its performance with this CPU. Is there a better motherboard I can grab? I'll probably couple it with a GeForce GTX 460 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .

Any advice or firsthand experience with the bundle combo?

More about : choice

a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 9:54:48 PM

Forget about the Intel motherboard, you can do way better. Asus and GigaByte are the top of the line, I have personally had issues with Asus support, so I would go with Gigabyte. Even many low end brands would be recommended above that intel board.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 10:40:15 PM

I have to agree with ^etk, Asus and Gigabyte are the way to go, and there are other good brands out there if you need to work in a budget.

Asus has a reputation of terrible customer service but I have never had to deal with them as none of my Asus stuff has died. I have not heard as many bad things about Gigabyte, but I know they have turned a blind eye to known issues with thier products, Asus is guilty of this also.
m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2010 10:42:06 PM

Any suggestions on a board that will match up good with the CPU I'm getting? Gigabyte is probably my 1st choice then.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 11:08:38 PM

Well any 1366 board that is 6-core ready will work for you. Since you are investing alot into this PC I assume you will want SATA 6GB/s and USB3, as well as the abilaty to X-Fire/SLI? And are you going to OC? What is your price range and any other features you really want?
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
November 19, 2010 11:37:51 PM

Where are you getting those deals from.? Assuming all first hand stuff, that is seriously a great deal for an i7 970.. As for the board, I agree with the general notion here to avoid the Intel original solution.. That board does not even features customary 6 memory slots found in every other X58 board.. Depending on your budget, you can opt from an Asus Sabertooth X58 all up to the Gigabyte X58-UD9.. My recommendation would however be the Asus Rampage III Formula if you really have some dollars to shed.. If not, the Asus P6X58D-E is a good option..
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2010 11:47:08 PM

Quote:
Asus Sabertooth , Asus Rampage III Formula

//Sorry kinda off topic// We must have the same idea on what a nice Mobo is, I was looking at the Sabertooth for an i5-760 build and the Formula for a i7-950. Still pondering which until the SandyBridge drops.
m
l
November 26, 2010 11:46:13 PM

The deal is actually through Intel's Retail Edge Program. I had to do a bunch of online training to qualify for that price point on the package. Asus Sabertooth is probably gonna be my choice. Some components will be of higher "quality" than others in my build because I'm on a limited budget.
m
l
November 26, 2010 11:50:38 PM

thechief73 said:
Well any 1366 board that is 6-core ready will work for you. Since you are investing alot into this PC I assume you will want SATA 6GB/s and USB3, as well as the abilaty to X-Fire/SLI? And are you going to OC? What is your price range and any other features you really want?

SATA 6GB/s yes, USB3 yes, not really looking into SLI/X-fire now that I have looked around. I'm actually building this to play D3 when it drops. Blizz has a rep for non-gargantuan systems req's so my build will do me fine.

Not planning on OC unless the BIOS on the board is awesome, I'm pretty much a noob to that.

Grand total I'm trying to spend 800 to start. 1st place I will cut from until I can afford it is the extra RAM, since for now the vidcard and mobo should pack enough punch for what i'm doing. No other notable features that I'm bothering looking into. Unfortunately a bachelors out of college in this economy means pretty much nothing unless you know someone somewhere, so i'm stuck working at Best Buy for now!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2010 2:53:45 AM

The Asus Sabertooth is a nice choice, I like the rugged build, they give you a 5-year warranty and its at a nice price. Seems like you have it figured out to the T.

You do not have to tell me about the bad job economy. I hate how you have to have a foot in the door just to get a job, its the same way everywhere, but having a paycheck is better than nothing. Hey, least you get a BB discount :)  . I think I have a masters now in unemployment, crappy Mi economy. :( 
m
l
!