AHCI Mode and reinstalling windows 8

dkulprit

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I am a new user with SSD. I have built many computers before but not with an SSD. I was asked to build my new computer in a class that a person I know teaches. We built the computer in front of the class. I explained it needed to be in AHCI mode before I installed windows 8 and the the guy I know said it doesn't. I stepped out of the class to go to an appointment and he went ahead and installed windows 8 without AHCI mode.

I know that I can folow the optimization guide and do a registry edit to get it into AHCI mode. But considering it is a brand new build I wouldn't mind just reinstalling.

I have gone ahead with the install of windows. I am now at a screen that has 2 partitions. Partition 1 is "system reserved" and than there is Partition 2.

Should I reformat both of the partitions? Or should I just reinstall on partition 1. Will that create another "system reserved" partition?

I could really use some help and guidance here. Thank you for your help.

Solution
You should leave the system reserved alone and install Windows on the other called Partition 2. Windows will automaticaly format the partition and will take care of both partitions. You can't install on partition 1 because generally Windows makes that partition only 100mb and it's for the OS to use.
You should leave the system reserved alone and install Windows on the other called Partition 2. Windows will automaticaly format the partition and will take care of both partitions. You can't install on partition 1 because generally Windows makes that partition only 100mb and it's for the OS to use.

Solution