Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I need to replace my motherboard? Please help.

Last response: in Motherboards
July 16, 2011 3:48:33 AM

Okay, so I have a problem that is driving me up the wall, and I can not for the life of me find any information or figure out what I need to do.

So, basically, when I start my computer, I get a 1 long 3 short beep post code which according to my BIOS maker (AMI) means there is an issue with my memory.

Now, the motherboard I am using is the Z68A GD65 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

At first, I had 1600 MHz RAM which was only supported by overclocking, although I knew it would still work with 1333 slots, just at lower frequency. So I exchanged it for 1333 MHz RAM and it is this one here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So this is what has me so confused. I have changed slots, started with one chip only, already exchanged it, ran 10 passes of memtest 86+ and no errors, and I am still getting this damn error beep.

Now, doesnt memtest 86 tell you if the slot on the mobo is bad? Which is also what has me so confused.

I have also cleared the CMOS, with the clear button, removing the battery, AND with a jumper and still nothing.

The strangest thing about all of this, is that my computer is running perfectly fine. It detects 8 GIGS of RAM, and my games run flawlessly so it does not seem to really have any issues at all. But it still bothers me that the beep exists in the first place.

Should I try exchanging my motherboard and seeing if that fixes the problem? Or should I just assume that the error code is being pushed out in error (ironic), and that nothing is really wrong ? it really would suck to have to take this whole thing apart again, as I just recently built it a week ago.

Help is aprpeciated!

Edit: One other thing, is it okayif the CPU Phase LEDs are moving and blinking sometimes? Just want to make sure.

More about : replace motherboard

a c 92 V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 4:13:44 AM

So it does this beep code, but boots normally? You probably shouldn't worry about it. I read your post thinking you had booting issues but you state that everything runs fine. Perhaps for your board that is the normal beep code.

No clue about the phase LED question, RTFM.
m
l
July 16, 2011 4:31:55 AM

Yes when I boot up t gives me the beeps, and then shows IDE information, SATA Devices screen, and then boots right into windows. And games and everything run beautiful so it is very weird.
m
l
Related resources
a c 92 V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 6:37:59 AM

Odd, perhaps the beep code means something else then. I wouldn't worry about it if it's working.
m
l

Best solution

July 16, 2011 7:13:26 AM

Hey First post here :) 

Been coming here for years but never registered for the forum until now.

Anyway I did a little reading for your mobo problem in the feedback section over at New Egg (I love New Egg) and found something you might find comforting

Quote:
Cons: Not Really a con, but some people will find the boot beeping annoying. Its just signaling that there are USB devices plugged in, and the number of beeps is the number of devices. Nice, if your testing bad USB devices
July 16, 2011 7:37:49 AM

Weird, because even when no USB devices are plugged in I still get the beeps.

I will double check when I get home but im almost positive.

Damn, now I feel like I should get the 1600MHz RAM again in case I want to OC ever. Is the difference in frequency honestly that big of a deal?
m
l
a c 92 V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 8:58:18 AM

Now that the buses are locked, not as much as it used to be. It still plays a part, just not as much.
m
l
July 16, 2011 12:02:33 PM

xSeanZx said:
Weird, because even when no USB devices are plugged in I still get the beeps.

USB, Keyboard, mouse maybe ?
m
l
July 16, 2011 9:13:17 PM

First I wanted to ask 4745 real quickly if I should even bother going back and exchanging again for the 1600 MHz RAM. In all honestly, I am thinking by the time I will really need to get a new motherboard, I will probably want to go higher with my RAM anyways.

Secondly. Rogbur22, I want to thank you so much for creating an account and posting.

So what was weird was, when I took out my graphics card trying to troubleshoot this problem before, the beeps went down to two. Thought it was odd, but now I under stand why.

So basically really was getting a 4 beep error, two of them were just really close together. So I unplugged my USB keyboard. Went down to three beeps. I unplugged my USB mouse, went down to two beeps. So it seems there is some correlation here. Now why it is reading my graphics card as a "USB" device I do not really know, but maybe it doesnt just count USB devices maybe something else as well.

But now that I have seen this change, I can finally rest assured nothing is wrong, and I can finally close my tower up and really get everything set up the way I want it.

Normally, I am so good with finding answers to my problems, but nothing seemed to correlate here and of course the answer was right under the link in my OP.

Rogbur thank you again for posting, once I get an answer back from 4754 I will mark yours as best answer and close this thread. THANK YOU!!!!!
m
l
a c 92 V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 11:18:52 PM

That's an odd thing to have on a board. As always folks, RTFM.

If it was working, I never would have got the other ram. Don't fix what's working! I don't have any system specs so it's hard for me to judge what you need. I've been arguing lately that if the buses are locked on current builds, then you don't need that mega fast stuff. Following my advice of don't fix what isn't broke, just stay with the 1333 ram. It's working, and you can always get different ram if you need it later. (DDR4, etc.)
m
l
July 16, 2011 11:30:23 PM

xSeanZx said:
First I wanted to ask 4745 real quickly if I should even bother going back and exchanging again for the 1600 MHz RAM. In all honestly, I am thinking by the time I will really need to get a new motherboard, I will probably want to go higher with my RAM anyways.

Secondly. Rogbur22, I want to thank you so much for creating an account and posting.

So what was weird was, when I took out my graphics card trying to troubleshoot this problem before, the beeps went down to two. Thought it was odd, but now I under stand why.

So basically really was getting a 4 beep error, two of them were just really close together. So I unplugged my USB keyboard. Went down to three beeps. I unplugged my USB mouse, went down to two beeps. So it seems there is some correlation here. Now why it is reading my graphics card as a "USB" device I do not really know, but maybe it doesnt just count USB devices maybe something else as well.

But now that I have seen this change, I can finally rest assured nothing is wrong, and I can finally close my tower up and really get everything set up the way I want it.

Normally, I am so good with finding answers to my problems, but nothing seemed to correlate here and of course the answer was right under the link in my OP.

Rogbur thank you again for posting, once I get an answer back from 4754 I will mark yours as best answer and close this thread. THANK YOU!!!!!

Hey No problem friend I know how irritating these things are when we don't know the reasons why. As I said I been around the site for years but never registered. When I clicked on your link and saw the answer I knew no other way to pass it on :lol: 
m
l
July 17, 2011 12:07:26 AM

haha I read the manual man, and I could find nothing about the beeps I was getting.

Regardless, thanks for the insight and the answers.
m
l
July 17, 2011 12:08:02 AM

Best answer selected by xSeanZx.
m
l
!