Sign in with
Your question

Opinions needed

Last response: in CPUs
November 20, 2010 1:04:27 AM

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread as there doesn't seem to be a general hardware forum.
So as some of you may know I have a new build in progress and so far I have a ThermalTake V5 and Corsair HX-850
As you may have guessed this is primarily a gaming build. I do everything though a lot of multitasking when and when I'm not gaming and fps games and a lot of emulation -wii, ps2, etc (I can't stand my wii anymore after seeing it in hd)

I'm buying components funds permitting and as they go on sale.
For the most part I have my build planned out but I'd like your opinions on what I'm doing.

My planned build:
Case: ThermalTake V5 (already have)
PSU: Corsair HX-850
CPU: Phenom II X2 555 or 560, or Athlon II X3 445 or 450 or X4 640 (basically whichever is the best value at time of purchase)
Mobo: Not really sure yet something cheap ($100 and lower) definitely AM3
RAM: Something with low CAS latency (under 8) probably 1600mhz
GPU: Probably ATI and what ever is on sale 5770/4870 and up
HDD: Something at least 1tb and with low failure rates
DVD: Whatever is cheap or steal one from old PC

I plan on getting a only a graphics card or CPU, motherboard, and RAM next

I'm somewhat leaning toward a graphics card because SB is supposed to be coming out soon with bulldozer not far afterwords and I read somewhere that it'll be $200 for and unlocked i7 which will push current i5's, i7's, and Phenom II's down more.

If I were to get a gpu now it's probably be ATI because I prefer AMD chipsets to nVidia and Intel i series is all overpriced.

I was considering an MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity and for $150 I can't see many reasons not to but the way gfx card prices are falling by the time I finish my build (probably end of January/February) it may have gone lower. Also if I were to get this I'd put it in my current pc so I could do some really light gaming (it has a 2ghz dual core)

If I were to buy anything but a gpu it'd be CPU/RAM/Motherboard because I want to be able to test them and I'd need to buy them all at the same time.
CPU: as stated AMD and under $100 (I'd go Intel too but performance/value isn't there) I'm not really concerned about this choice as now I can run quite a few games on my laptop with a 2.53 c2d and a 256mg workstation gpu that bottlenecks the cpu to 80% all the time and I still get really good performance even with a workstation card.

I really like the Phenom II X2's because they can be unlocked but if they can't I'd regret not going with an Athlon II X4 or X3 but they have no L3 cache. Does L3 cache really affect gaming performance that much as I've read mixed opinions everywhere. But in all the benchmarks I've seen the GPU is usually the bottle neck.

Also I like to emulate games which is very cpu dependent and not gpu dependent at all so the higher the clock rate the better. Which is why I'm leaning toward an X3 or X4 because emulation only takes 2 cores and the addition 2 cores can do background processes freeing up more clock speed.

Mobo: I'm going to get a cheap one for the time being see that AM3+ is coming soon (or should I wait for AM3+?). I prefer AMD chipsets over nVidia because I don't understand nVidia chipsets. I would also like it to have a core unlocker feature if I get an X2 or X3 an OC tool would be nice but not necessary.

RAM: Something DDR3 and 1333 and up, CAS latency of 8 or less, low voltage would be desirable also. And I'm not sure what a decent timing is but something mid range that won't bottleneck anything.

HDD and DVD drives will be borrowed from old pc for a while.

Please let me know if you think I should get the gpu, CPU/RAM/Mobo, or just wait until I have enough money for everything because prices will be much cheaper by then. Also let me know if you have an alternative hardware suggestions these plans aren't set in stone.

Sorry for the lengthy read but I do Thank you for you time and help.

More about : opinions needed

a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 1:45:19 AM

Have you a total budget??? It would be easier to offer advice.
m
l
November 20, 2010 2:36:58 AM

I would say $500 max to spend on what I have remaining that I need give or take $50-75ish if it will give me much more performance value.
Although if i will get $50 more in performance then why not?

I also just found this 5770 for $115 after rebate
XFX HD-577X-ZMF3 Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Any thought on this vs. that 5850 for $150 or still wait?
m
l
Related resources
a c 81 à CPUs
November 20, 2010 4:07:59 AM

You are going overkill on the PSU.. You won't need an 850W PSU if you've no plans whatsoever of making a dual video card setup.. IMO, go a little low on the PSU use the saved cash to invest towards getting a stronger video card.. A XFX XXX 650W PSU + Radeon HD 6870 1GB will be a good combination..
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 5:32:01 AM

I wouldn't pay 115 for a 5770 considering what GTX 460's are selling for with their rebates; the 5850 sound like an OK deal though. I would be very surprised if Bulldozer came before late Q2 2011, or if intel sold a unlocked i7 for under $200. Where did you hear these things?

m
l
November 20, 2010 1:18:36 PM

Emperus I have plans on dual video cards, but a few years down the road once whatever I get becomes inadequate for new game releases And I already have the hx-850 (I got it for $110 with rebates etc I couldn't pass it up).

I know bulldozer will later than SB but there should be some details released around SB release date correct or at least one would think so. And do you think that gpu's will be cheaper compared to now by late January/February?
I read about that $200 i7 on a discussion about the limited oc'ing on most chips and i can't remember if it was on here or elsewhere.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 3:24:03 PM

Hi AEracer7, The only place that has speculated on the i7-2600k(unlocked) prices has been Anandtech, and they put the price at ~$550 where the i7-950 used to be a few months ago. As for the i7-2600 at ~$350 and the i5-2500 at ~$210.

As for GPU's I would at least wait for the holiday deals or until ATI comes out with the rest of the 6000 series and prices will lower on the 5000 series. RAM is going down slowly and HDD's are stable, watch for sales or rebates as you are.

As for your buying strategy for: GPU, RAM, CPU, Mobo, I would save and wait, thats what I am doing currently.

Quote:
And I already have the hx-850 (I got it for $110 with rebates etc I couldn't pass it up).

I am currious where you got this deal? I have been watching the HX850 prices since July and the cheapest its been was on Newegg.com for $120 after MIR, was that off from ebay or somthing esle? Be honest.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 3:25:56 PM

I would expect the 5 series ATI cards to be cheaper by then, but I don't expect the 6 series ATI to drop too much any time soon.

+1 6870 btw.
m
l
November 20, 2010 3:35:08 PM

the chief you are right it was $120 (I had $10 in my PayPal balance so I was only charged $110) I'm sorry that's my mistake but it was off Newegg.com.
And it might have been anandtech and it might have been the i5 I was just excited they wouldn't start very high as some have been speculating. Which would also push current models down further.

Raidur if I were to get a 6870 the cheapest on newegg is $255 what would you suggest for the rest of my hardware then to stay within my budget?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 8:28:19 PM

Ah I see the 5850 is $155. If you're willing to adjust your budget according to that rebate, it would be better than the 6870 price/performance.

Also, drop the HX-850 and get this other Corsair PSU - 650TX. This will leave you with power to spare. You can pick it up for $81 through tomorrow, killer deal. HX 850 is massive overkill for your PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With these changes what is your budget on CPU/mobo?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 8:33:05 PM

Raidur said:
Ah I see the 5850 is $155. If you're willing to adjust your budget according to that rebate, it would be better than the 6870 price/performance.

Also, drop the HX-850 and get this other Corsair PSU - 650TX. This will leave you with power to spare. You can pick it up for $81 through tomorrow, killer deal. HX 850 is massive overkill for your PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With these changes what is your budget on CPU/mobo?

Dont go for the 58XX or 57XX series for your build..
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Grey-Screen-Fix-58...
And i suggest Athlon X4 Cache doesnt affect games that much.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 9:30:43 PM

Raidur said:
Also, drop the HX-850

He has already purchased the Corsair HX850w
ghnader hsmithot said:
Dont go for the 58XX or 57XX series for your build.

Why are you citing an article thats almost a year old? Those problems were rectified long ago with driver updates.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 9:50:37 PM

thechief73 said:
He has already purchased the Corsair HX850w

Why are you citing an article thats almost a year old? Do you honestly belive that those problems were not rectified long ago (which they were) with driver updates? Dont posts things blindly and expect people not to question your answers, when you dont back them up with solid facts or reasoning.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Grey-Screen-Lines-...
they did fix it but i am still wary mate..Money dont grow on trees..
m
l
November 20, 2010 9:53:42 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I did give you facts and until now no news by ati about this being fixed..

Lame.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 9:54:35 PM

bf_uk said:
Lame.

I think you should leave the forum..
m
l
November 20, 2010 9:56:14 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I think you should leave the forum..

So should you with you pathetic replies. You have no clue and yet you link to out of date articales and try to sound clever. You're just as much of a dildo as that monkey-nonce.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 9:57:22 PM

Please look at your own replies first..
m
l
November 20, 2010 9:59:18 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
Please look at your own replies first..

I don't need to. You were the one who was proven to be a muppet. I have not stated any wrong answers or relied upon out of date baloney to try and sound clever.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 10:03:11 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Grey-Screen-Lines-...
they did fix it but i am still wary mate..Money dont grow on trees..
[:lorbat:6]
I am Sorry Zulfadhli, I dont know why I got so defensive, I guess I assumed you were purposly trying to give out missleading info, but I now understand your point of view you were coming from and I again appologize.

@bf_uk,

You really need to chill out, between you attacking mousemonkey for no reason on another thread and your statments this thread, your getting out of hand. This is not the type of behavior anyone wants to put up with, these people come here for help not your display in immaturity. If you cannot handle that find another forum to troll on. If you dislike being here so much, no one is making you stay.
m
l
November 20, 2010 10:09:56 PM

Well yeah, but being treated like a twat by a MOD is hardly a good example to a new member, so I naturally assumed that anything goes in these forums.
m
l
November 21, 2010 1:52:50 PM

Zulfadhi I appreciate you pointing out that issue to me because I wasn't aware of it until now but I also remember reading an article on here within the past week that AMD has release new drivers again so I doubt that it will be much of an issue now and if it is it will probably come up within the warranty period and I could get it taken care of. The worst it could be would be a temporary inconvenience.

Also does anyone on here think that by the time I am almost done with my build that the 5 series cards (mainly 5850) will drop lower than the 5850 w/ rebate I link to earlier.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2010 2:35:08 PM

AEracer7 said:
Zulfadhi I appreciate you pointing out that issue to me because I wasn't aware of it until now but I also remember reading an article on here within the past week that AMD has release new drivers again so I doubt that it will be much of an issue now and if it is it will probably come up within the warranty period and I could get it taken care of. The worst it could be would be a temporary inconvenience.

Also does anyone on here think that by the time I am almost done with my build that the 5 series cards (mainly 5850) will drop lower than the 5850 w/ rebate I link to earlier.

Thats is good news..Service in US is much better than in Shanghai..If i had some trouble with a new gpu i bought from a shop..They would tell me i have to pay to get a new one..That is why for me i have to be extra careful..
m
l
November 26, 2010 2:46:25 PM

yea zulfadhi I wouldn't imagine service in china would be quite as easy

And a little update:
I've bought:
Athlon II X4 3.0ghz 640 on Tom's in the Classifieds
Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 AM3 790GX
G.Skill Ripjaws4gb (2x2gb) 1600mhz DDR3

And that should be enough to get me up and running if I steal the hard drives and DVD drive from my old pc, and use the integrated graphics on the mobo.
I probably won't have it completely finished until Feb. as my friends and I planned a trip for next month so gotta put aside some $$ for that. But I can still run this for now.

Although I think I'll buy things:
GPU, Hard drive, DVD drive, more fans & fan filters.
GPU will have to be ATI as my mobo has an AMD chipset.
HDD as long as it's 7200 rpm, 1tb or more and cheap I don't care what it is.
DVD drive: Whatever is cheap and writes all formats of dvd.
m
l
!