Help Building A New PC?

Composite

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I am planning to build a new PC, having it crossfire to be exact, I would
really like to crossfire the AMD/ATI HD 6850, since it consumes less power
for more performance.

I was thinking of having the AMD Phenom II x4 965, but can this CPU
handle the Crossfire HD 6850? I was not into the Phenom II x6 1090T since it's too expensive for it's price. And you won't get much performance at all.

I have heard about the Phenom II x6 1055T overclocked to 3.5 Ghz, and it is really flashy as they say, because it's price is almost same as Phenom II x4 965 into our country, and it performs well in some applications, and has lesser heat too. Do you recommend getting this one?

And my other option was Intel i7-950, but it's more expensive, a LOT expensive than the AMD Phenom, and the x58 motherboard was hell
pricey..

But, if the Phenom II x4 965 can't handle HD 6850, I have no option
but to buy the i7 build.

The purpose of the PC is for mostly games.. And I am planning to buy this when the Newer CPUs will come out, so it will have a price cut. Do you think the AMD Bulldozer is worth waiting? And it's price will be around 200-300$? I was not that rich and prices in our country is a lot expensive.

I'll use the PC for 4 years, so I need to really think if it will last the good performance that long.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the reply...

*Composite

Solution
1. You're right, no need to get x6 (expensive), stay with x4.
2. Phenom II x4 is good enough to handle dual 6850 or any dual cards, don't worry about that.
3. Crossfiring dual 6850 is not a bad idea, but how about getting single HD6870 for now and CF it later with another HD6870 when you have money? Higher card can survive for longer term.
4. What is your max budget? For what components (CPU, RAM, Mobo, PSU)?
1. You're right, no need to get x6 (expensive), stay with x4.
2. Phenom II x4 is good enough to handle dual 6850 or any dual cards, don't worry about that.
3. Crossfiring dual 6850 is not a bad idea, but how about getting single HD6870 for now and CF it later with another HD6870 when you have money? Higher card can survive for longer term.
4. What is your max budget? For what components (CPU, RAM, Mobo, PSU)?

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator
As for your CPU question, here is a benchmark between the X4 965 & X6 1050T... http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=147

In gaming, the x4 965 out performs the x6 1050T but the x6 1050T does better everywhere else. The x4 & x6 CPU's have plenty of power for your Crossfire setup of two ATI 6850's. These CPU's could last your four years with the appropriate upgrades along the way. With the Bulldozer slated for mid to late [strike]1Q11[/strike] 2Q11 / 3Q11, I don't think it will be worth the weight.

Edit: Corrected a mis-statement on the estimated release time-frame of the "Bulldozer".

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

I thought is was going to be more like late Q2 or Q3. That would be great news though, link?

tecmo34

Administrator

You are correct, it is more like Q2 / Q3... I had a "brain fart" when I typed that, specially when I just posted the below information just the other day :(

AMD Zambezi ''Bulldozer'' Desktop CPU Roadmap Revealed

zambezi_roadmap.jpg

Composite

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
My budget is around 900-1000$, but the prices of computer parts on our country is just too high. That's why it's hard to build a nice gaming rig.

Another question, won't it have any bottlenecks? Or is it balanced? And What good RAM is for Phenom II x4? Timings, Frequencies, Etc. Because as I see, most RAM out there is specialized for Intel i5 and i7s. That's why I'm quite confused.

*I have already thought about the HD 6870 but I think it will just too much if I will crossfire it later. And I want to lessen my consume of electricity as much as possible because everything is expensive here in our country.

This is my build anyway :)
AMD Phenom II x4 965
Asus M4A89TD PRO
Cooler Master GX Series 650W
Sapphire HD 6850 (Crossfire)
(I haven't decided for the RAM yet. So please give a good suggestion for it. I'm into overclocking my CPU to 3.8 Ghz)

If you have better build to say (at the same price point CPU, MOBO and RAM), I'll really appreciate your post. And Thanks for the replies.. :)

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Don't worry if the RAM says optimized for i5/i7 whatever, it doesn't mean anything. I don't know where you are, so I don't know what is available, but start by looking at 4GB (2*2GB) of the cheapest name brand DDR3 1333.