LCD or LED Gaming Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madevil59

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Which is best LCD or LED monitor for gaming? And who is making the best one for the must bang for you buck? I am looking for 22inch-28inch monitor.

Solution
Such an insane graphics set up will be wasted on anything less than 2560x1600 resolution, so look at some 30" monitors or surround gaming with 3 of those 24" or 27".

Dell do a stunning Ultrasharp U3011 30"
D

Deleted member 217926

I could not be happier with my new 23in LED. No eyestrain like with LCD at all. and just like with big TVs it seems to do blacks better.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi madevil59, Welcome to THW.

I have not use and LED display yet, but from what I hear they are the top dog when it comes to color, brightness and contrast.

I just wanted to let you know to watch Newegg.com's email deal's because they always have different LCD/LED displays on sale. Guaranteed at least one is on sale if not more.

madevil59

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
BenQ EW2420 – £158 24 inch monitor are a good one to take a peak at. its got brilliant quality for its price. but what gpu do you have by the way? because youll need a card which can run the monitors native resolution

I'm going to be using Nvidia GTX 580 triple or Dual 6900 ATI with one Nvidia 580GTX. just waiting on the New ATI release before i upgrade.

madevil59

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

Budget. about 1,500 dollars

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Such an insane graphics set up will be wasted on anything less than 2560x1600 resolution, so look at some 30" monitors or surround gaming with 3 of those 24" or 27".

Dell do a stunning Ultrasharp U3011 30"

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

No. Plasma was the only thing that suffered from that as far as I know. The main advantage I see over my older LCD is lack of eyestrain no matter the brightness level.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Eyestrain?...I don't get any eye strain from an LCD, a CRT monitor gives huge eyestrain. Not sure about the LCD, maybe i'm just used to it. And a huge amount of TV's suffer still-image, crt, plasma, and many forms of projection TV's also.

Read back in this post. And recall that so called "LED TVs" are LCD TVs with LED backlights as opposed to CCFL. Also recall that the cause of burn-in has nothing to do with the backlight.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I can guarantee LCD's dont burn in, even LCD Tv's. I have used two different LCD 37" Tv's (Westinghouse/Sony) for PC monitors for ~5years and never had a problem. Dont think I am crazy these doubled as my Tv so I didnt have to buy a screen for both my Tv and PC.

The thing you have to watch out for is "Bleed Through or Bleeding" when the backlight starts to appear brighter in random cloud like bloches or in the coners, that is the most common issue.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

LCD's don't burn really?...who would have thought.

Its a known fact.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Burn-in comes from using phosphors in the screen, - CRTs and Plasmas will burn in, LCD won't.

+1 to the backlight bleed issue - cheap monitors (regardless of backlighting type) are prone to some nasty bleed from the lighting, so the edges (and sometimes patches in the screen) are brighter/washed out and it can ruin the overall image, especially in a dark environment.

Also, be mindful of the type of panel the monitor uses - with a budget of a grand and a half, there's no need to bother with TN panels.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

Hey, I was just trying to help the OP, what did you achive by writing that? :heink:

And you were the one that brought it up as a question.

Apology Accepted ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.