GTX 460 vs GTX 465

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey guys, im not sure what card to pick GTX 460 (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...diaGTX460FermiSeries/Novatech/NOV-GTX461.html) or GTX 465 (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/...diaGTX465FermiSeries/Novatech/NOV-GTX465.html)

The GTX 465 is only £6 more it also has 2 years warranty whilst the 460 has only 1 year, but i heard the GTX 460 1gb version is better in some areas, also will these work with
Antec TruePower New Modular 650W Power Supply (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/PowerSupplies/Antec/TP-650.html ) they say you need: Minimum 550W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A) not sure if that psu has that.

Also will it work with my motherboard?
X38-DS4 Motherboard from gigabyte (http://www.lanthrax.com/news_details.asp?NewsID=01268)

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I'm researching my behind off trying to figure out if I should upgrade to a GTX460, and while I'm not facing the same dilema as you, I can tell you that from the many reviews, benchmarks, buyer comments, etc - the concensus is pretty clear that the GTX460 offers superior real world performance in almost every way. I wouldn't even consider the GTX 465 if I were you. Warranty aside, your card will probably burn within an hour if something is wrong with it - so 1 vs 2 years warranty is a joke - it's either short term or life-time, anything in between is just marketing. Good luck!

lowriderflow

Distinguished
If you're going with just one GTX460, id go with the palit sonic platinum 1gb for $249.99 (with a free $50 dollar game)

if you're going to do SLI, I'd go with a pair of EVGA superclocked 460s ($209.99 each)

Helltech

Distinguished

Why would you do that when you can just overclock them yourself?

Regardless, get the 460 1GB version.

The 465 was a failure card, and the 460 768mb isn't worth it in my opinion.

Vadorsystems

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Yeeh, im with the get the 1gb 460 cause the 465 isnt that great, I mean its weird cause right now our company doesnt sell the 460 o_O need to get that changed, we'll be replacing the 465 with the 460 in all the systems soon cause it pretty much wipes the floor with the 465 xD

banenwn

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
the 465 was not a failure most of the games the gtx 460 scored 1 to 2 fps more big deal.as of now the gtx 465 is coming down in price and will probably be about the same price as a gtx 460 1 gig in the coming weeks.you cant go wrong with either card i would reccomend the 460 at this point but when they both are in the same price range in the coming weeks it really doesnt matter which one you chose.funny everyone says the 465 was a faliure yet it had better price per fps then the 5850 and yet that card is so awsome right?

Helltech

Distinguished
Uhm, price per performance its one of the worse cards.... So yeah its a failure card. It wouldn't have to come down in price if it performed like it should. And to make it worth it, it would have to come down under the price of the 460 1GB version.

A card that is SUPPOSED to be better then its little brother that is more expensive and performs worse??? Also it runs hotter and consumers more power.....

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2294225

When asked about comparing the 460 to the 465 to the 470

"yeah you'd get a bit less performance with a 460, but temps would be a bit better. and 470 is much hotter. 465 can immediately be disregarded."

465 can be IMMEDIATELY disregarded? See, it sucks people don't even consider it.

TheUnthinkingMajority

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
I would go with a 460, as mentiond in the Tomshardware reivews the 460 is one of Nvidias GF104 Graphics Processor.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-gf104-fermi,2684-2.html

as mentiond in the conclusion of the above review

"If you read my GeForce GTX 465 and held off on a mainstream Fermi-based upgrade, then you have to be smiling to yourself right now. The 1 GB GeForce GTX 460 performs on par with the pricier GTX 465, losing to it in some cases and beating it in others. If you’re just looking at speed for the price, that top-end GeForce GTX 460 already rises to the top as a favorite in Nvidia’s lineup. Then factor in a shorter board (the same size as AMD’s Radeon HD 5770), cooler operating temperatures, lower power consumption, and a damn near-silent fan. No question, the GeForce GTX 460 1 GB is the way to go there"

Even if they were the same price the GTX 460 is both better and more power efficient. The GTX 465 uses almost twice as much more power at idle and 30w more under load which also translates into more heat. The GTX 465 simply ahs no advantages and there is no reason to buy one. Maybe if it gets down to $200 it would be an interesting alternative to the 768mb GTX 460 for people willing to trade off power efficiency for slightly better performance.

banenwn

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
maybe you should do your research before you comment it is consistantly 1st or 2nd best price/per performance card in all games benched.better then the 5850/70 gtx 470 and 80. gtx 465 is not a bad card by any means problem is the gtx 460 is like the 8800 GT a few years back it just so happens to be the best bang for the buck card on the planet right now and number 2 right now is the 5770 and number 3 the gtx 465 thats far from being a faliure http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=532&Itemid=99999999&limit=1&limitstart=6

Your numbers are simply wrong;
perfdollar_1920.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_460_1_GB/33.html

Nope, the GTX 465 has it's problems but overclocking is not one of them. The GTX 460 may in general achieve higher speeds on the core it also starts at a significantly higher stock clock(675mhz vs 607mhz.) Overall I would say they are pretty equal in overclocking ability, if anything the GTX 465 may have a slight advantage.

I also linked the entire review it is based upon with a much larger selection of benchmarks and cards tested. The review is also significantly more recent. The link is at the bottom of the chart. They don't say the exact prices they are using but they say where they got them from(newegg) and the price the are using can be calculated with some math if you really want to know the exact numbers.
Also in what way does the GTX 465 "beatout" the HD5850?

Nonsense? Are you kidding? How is this for nonsense;
You are posting numbers from one benchmark based on the OC they managed to achieve on one site(with no description of their methods or if they bumped up voltage.) Furthermore that benchmark has the GTX 460 768mb AT STOCK being 13.7% faster than the GTX 465. The benchmark numbers are meaningless and the OC numbers should be just one(questionable) data point for anyone interested in the overclocking limits of these cards.
I was posting from my general knowledge of the subject from reading a ton of reviews and posts. Usually the OC on the GTX 465(and the other GF100 cards) will fall in the 800-850mhz range while the GF104 cards are usually in the 850-900mhz range.

WTH
I'm not going to respond to your nitpicking of my posts and personal attacks except to say I'm disappointed to see this from a regular. Just because we both used the same site doesn't mean you are using the info the site presents in a correct manner. You are quite simply using evidence that isn't nearly robust enough to draw any conclusions about how these cards overclock in general. For that knowledge you need extensive sources because every card will OC to a different degree that depends on whether the voltage is raised. I don't know why you think the GTX 465 doesn't OC well. Like the HD5830 it is the one saving grace of the card that in certain circumstances made it a reasonable purchase. Do some research beyond one review and you'll find that what I'm saying is in fact correct.

What are you talking about? What does posting the sites chart of performance/dollar have to do with you acting like one OC result for each card at stock volts means anything? Using the same site says nothing about the manner in which we used them. Exactly what research are you suggesting I should have done?
And I know exactly what you stated and I also know my response was exactly appropriate. The OCing ability of the two cards in question are roughly equal and yes, if I was forced to pick whether one or the other OCs to a higher degree it would be the GTX 465. What I don't know is why you find this concept so offensive and why you think your response was an effective illustration of the general OCing ability of the cards.

The aren't even overvolting the cards... the results are meaningless to a serious overclocker. Even if you want to stick with that one site and stock voltages for some reason these are the actual results from that site;
Card / OC / OC% over reference core speeds for the card
MSI GTX 460 1gb / 850mhz / 25.9%
Zotac GTX 460 1gb / 835mhz / 23.7%
MSI GTX 460 768mb / 848mhz / 25.6%
Axle GTX 460 768mb / 863mhz / 27.8%
MSI GTX 465 / 760mhz / 25.2%
Zotac GTX 465 / 759mhz / 25.1%
So you must be basing your conclusions on the COD4 benchmark. This is ONE game, an old one too, in which the 768mb card at stock is notably better than the GTX 465 which is the opposite of most benchmarks. Even if you wanted to make a broad statement about the abilities of the cards when OCed this clearly would be a poor choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.