Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Antec 902 case questions

Last response: in Components
November 20, 2010 4:10:35 AM

Getting a new build soon, and where I am i can get a really decent price on a combo 902/corsair hx-650.

Except theres a few things i wanna ask bout case...

1. Max length for GPU?

2. How much room is there for cabling behind motherboard tray?

3. Is it possible for me to take off the main bulk off the HDD cage and just leave the fan installed by itself in the front panel secured? http://www.antec.com/pdf/drawings/900II_mechdrawing.pdf That picture makes me think i can but im not entirely sure.

4. Can i change the drive locations to something like: (top to bottom) ODD, 120mm fan (see number 3), 2 empty 5.25 bays, HDD cage?

Plus anything else i should know about the case let me know, or even if you have the case, i wouldnt mind a few pictures of your cable management attempts either.

Thanks
P1n3apqlExpr3ss
November 20, 2010 4:46:15 AM

Yea... ive read a fair few reviews on it, and a few video reviews on youtube.
To answer myself...

1. Enough

2. ???

3. ???

4. Yes

Still need answers to 2 and 3 xD oh wait, yea there is enough room behind... just 3 then :) 
Score
Related resources
a c 91 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 6:39:38 AM

The hard drive cages are removable.. link.. The 902 however, does not feature an efficient cable management scheme.. Although a modular PSU (like the one you have) and a bit of experience and patience should work in setting up a neat looking rig..
Score
November 20, 2010 6:57:05 AM

http://www.pureoverclock.com/images/review/cases/antec_...
As in this picture, not sure if my explaining has been adequate or not. But i am wondering if you can take the actual fan bracket off the HDD cage (no not the optional 120mm bracket) and not both with the HDD cage itself, yet still be able to secure the fan and dust filter by themselves in the case. I think you can, but not entirely sure.

And thisll be a first time build for me, but yea... feed cables out put, use cable routing holes to get them to mobo, not too complicated, but i will admit 902 isnt as easy to manage as say the cm 690 II ill just have to think more about where everything will go i guess
Score

Best solution

a c 165 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 12:57:54 PM

i have the 902 sitting right next to me. the 902 does not have an efficient cable management scheme?? its pretty easy to run cables through the back of the mobo. several holes along the side and bottom make cable management rather easy. this isn't the 900 mobo tray.

1. the maximum video card length is 16" with one of the HDD cages removed
2. its decent, about average for a mid-tower case.
3. you can remove a HDD cage fron the front fan and keep it installed. its how you would fit a long video card.
4.you want to move a HDD cage to to the top of the PC? panel #2 & 3 on the fascia are completely blocked so there would be no point of fan so you lose that HDD cooling option.

November 20, 2010 9:53:48 PM

Cheers for the info ct, im more comparing the 902 to say the 690 II which from what ive seen has better cable routing.

4. Not the HDD cage itself, but just the fan to bring cooler air through to the cpu.
Also im guessing you can move those blocked drive covers to say further down the chassis?
Score
a c 165 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 10:17:26 PM

p1n3apqlexpr3ss said:
Cheers for the info ct, im more comparing the 902 to say the 690 II which from what ive seen has better cable routing.

4. Not the HDD cage itself, but just the fan to bring cooler air through to the cpu.
Also im guessing you can move those blocked drive covers to say further down the chassis?

you could but I would say set them both down low. the antec 300, 600, 900 all offer great cooling with two front fans.

as for the 690II, it has wider holes for cables but cable routing is not a difficult thing. you would be shocked at the magic of zip ties. the 690 does have a nice tool less drive tray. it also gives you the option of the PSU being fan down or up. I find its side panels thin though. the antec 900 is built like a tank, its heavy with sturdy side panels. it has better cooling although the mic and headphone jacks are not labeled. the front panel is a pain to get off compared to other cases.

both are great cases and you are really splitting hairs when choosing among them, get the one that you think looks best.
690II review
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/02/18/coole...
Score
November 20, 2010 10:27:31 PM

Yea, im not sure why the lan cools and the 690s only come with one intake, while the antecs can do that from stock, always kinda puzzled me.

Yea, I noticed how the 902 is like 2kg heavier than the 690 II even if its a bit smaller. And i like the little tray thing for flash drives and stuff on the 902 as well as the outward angled front panel, and just prefer the overall look of it. And unscrewing two screws to get off the panel doesnt really mind me, personally i think thumbscrews and such are a bit of a gimmick, its not exactly hard to walk to your garage and get a screwdriver...

Wow... those temperatures are surprising on the 690 II, could that be because of the front intakes? Cant really think of any other reason.

Also do you mind commenting on the build?

i5 760
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
Radeon 6870
Kingston Valueram 2x2GB
Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair HX-650
Antec 902

Comes to around 1500 NZD, our prices are a bit higher here than a straight currency conversion from the US
Score
a c 165 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 10:36:33 PM

p1n3apqlexpr3ss said:
Yea, im not sure why the lan cools and the 690s only come with one intake, while the antecs can do that from stock, always kinda puzzled me.

Yea, I noticed how the 902 is like 2kg heavier than the 690 II even if its a bit smaller. And i like the little tray thing for flash drives and stuff on the 902 as well as the outward angled front panel, and just prefer the overall look of it. And unscrewing two screws to get off the panel doesnt really mind me, personally i think thumbscrews and such are a bit of a gimmick, its not exactly hard to walk to your garage and get a screwdriver...

Wow... those temperatures are surprising on the 690 II, could that be because of the front intakes? Cant really think of any other reason.

Also do you mind commenting on the build?

i5 760
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
Radeon 6870
Kingston Valueram 2x2GB
Spinpoint F3 1TB
Corsair HX-650
Antec 902

Comes to around 1500 NZD, our prices are a bit higher here than a straight currency conversion from the US

the antec has dual front fans and 200mm up top so that helps. the antecs just flat out cool well. I don't know why but their cases seem narrow to me, so I'm sure that helps for airflow.

that set up looks really good, I'm sure you will enjoy it for some time...I'm not just saying that because I have a corsair PSU, Samsung F3 HDD, antec case, and gigabyte board in a PC also. :na: 
Score
November 20, 2010 10:42:47 PM

Haha i just planned it around the fact, yea i probably wont get a new PC for a while. So i dont see the need for a CF board. the case and psu i can use again, while i have other old cases i could potentially put the old parts in and pick up a cheap PSU. But to be honest id have probably left home by then xD

And the 902 is actually wider than the 690 II.
902: (W/H/D)
8.6 x 19.4 x 18.6
690 II:
8.4 x 20.1 x 20.8 inch
Well i thought it was wider than that but you get the idea xD
Score
November 20, 2010 10:43:32 PM

Best answer selected by p1n3apqlexpr3ss.
Score
November 21, 2010 1:09:18 AM

Also do you think id be able to route the 8 pin up the back with the HX-650?
Score
a c 165 ) Power supply
November 21, 2010 2:31:24 AM

possibly, your 8-pin is all the way up in the top left corner. you can also try to run it along the edge of the mobo.

Score
November 21, 2010 2:38:21 AM

Well... saw video on youtube with the 902 and kingwin 800w PSU (guessing its the mach 1 model), and the 8 pin couldnt reach up behind without an extender.
Yet also saw another one with the similar sized 690 II with a VX-550 with the 8 pin going behind the motherboard, and it didnt look as if an extender had been used...
Ill just take the chance with it i guess, or get an extender some other time
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2010 8:22:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!