Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Maximus formula-22d boot + raid 0 ?

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2012 6:23:05 PM

Hi all

I have a few doubts on this setup, I´d rather ask for some help before screwing things up. So:

I have an old Asus Maximus Formula (Intel X38) with a raid 0 setup which is the boot disk (vista) holding all my data and docs (day in day out do backups to a synology ds212+)

Now I bought a samsung ssd 830 256GB and instead of migrating the data etc would like to (finally) install W7 on the ssd to become the boot drive,
and if possible also access the raid 0 data making this one the data drive.

On the bios I only have the option to set as AHCI or Raid, if set to raid the ssd is not shown and no option to boot, if set to RAID the ssd is not available and no option to boot.

I didn´t boot either way because was afraid of breaking the raid 0 and loose all my data.

I´d like to ask for some light and help here,

shall I disconnect both raid 0 drives, set the bios to AHCI, format and install W7 on the ssd,
then reconnect all 3 drives, set the bios to raid and try to check if the ssd and the raid 0 are both available and finally set the ssd to boot?

kind of lost here,

thks for any help

a c 542 G Storage
December 5, 2012 6:28:37 PM

ninogui said:
shall I disconnect both raid 0 drives, set the bios to AHCI, format and install W7 on the ssd,
then reconnect all 3 drives, set the bios to raid and try to check if the ssd and the raid 0 are both available and finally set the ssd to boot?

Correct! :) 

Any drives not part of an actual RAID array will automatically default to AHCI mode, so you shouldn't have any problems with your SSD after you've installed Windows on it in AHCI mode.
m
l

Best solution

a c 119 G Storage
December 5, 2012 6:35:38 PM

If you disconnect the two drives then you don't have to worry about loseing your data. You could then set the sata mode to AHCI an load Windows 7 on the SSD. When you reconnect the two drives you have to change the sata mode to raid so that the raid will work. At that point you should be able to see the SSD because raid is similar to AHCI , if you can then now you want to save your dataso that you can get rid of Vista.
Another option would be to upgrade the raid drive OS from Vista to Windows 7 and then clone your drive onto the SSD and go from there with how you want to distribute your files.
Related resources
December 5, 2012 7:07:41 PM

this was very helpful, thank you!

clear as water will try this strategy

just a last maybe dummy question, after I replug everything will I not run the risk if the system trying to boot into the raid 0 instead of the ssd ? not the end of the world but just making sure

m
l
a c 119 G Storage
December 5, 2012 7:30:28 PM

With both OS drives connected you may get an option as to which you want to use if not then it will just boot from one of them and it will not affect the other. You could then setup a dual boot option or just make the changes to saving the files you want so that you can get rid of the Vista OS.
To make the system boot from the raid connect the SSD to a sata 2 connector that is not controlled by the Intel chip and the rtaid will boot first if that's the one you want booting first. If you want the SSD first then connect it to a sata three port controlled by the intel chip.
The other way to control the booting is with the boot sequence.
m
l
December 5, 2012 7:48:41 PM

ok thks man!

now I have to go figure out which sata ports are which on the maximus formula..!
m
l
December 6, 2012 10:54:11 AM

No joy.

I have tried the solution posted in #3 and as soon as I get the ssd 830 in bios set as raid and first priority it crashes on boot.
If bios is set to raid and the twin raid drives are set on first priority of course everything boots ok but the ssd is relegated to a simple add on drive
If bios is set to AHCI the ssd boots ok but of course the raid is not recognized and the op promptly asks to format drive.

I have not messed with any of the sata ports ( 6 of them ) and read through the whole asus maximus formula manual, there is nothing telling me there are separate controllers, seems all are managed through the same intel controller (?)

can anyone help a bit further here please ?

thks in advance
m
l
December 6, 2012 2:48:59 PM

no one with intel x38 / ich9i experience ?
m
l
December 7, 2012 6:29:19 AM

Best answer selected by ninogui.
m
l
!