Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Would ARMA II work on my rig? Seeking advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 30, 2010 11:33:48 PM

Hi to all,
I am getting a PC built now and am wondering whether I am able to play ARMA II at medium or better settings? I am looking to increase my gaming catalogue and I have been without a computer for about 3 years now, and all i have that are current is GTA 4, plus some older titles (Command & Conquer Generals/Zero Hour, Battle for Middle Earth, Half Life) so i don't know really what i'm missing out on.

Here is my machine (after some diligent research in these sacred forums), please don't hold back on your comments :) 

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition
MB: Gigabyte 880-UDR5 (a bit hazy on this one, can't remember the specs)
GPU: xfx 5850 1GB
RAM: G skill ripjaw 2x 2GB 1600Mhz
PSU: Antec 750 W true power
Case: Antec 900 2
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Monitor: 24inch BenQ E2420 HD 2ms
Desktop: Logitech mouse and keyboard (generic i guess)

Many thanks in advance
August 30, 2010 11:36:28 PM

refugeesus said:
Hi to all,
I am getting a PC built now and am wondering whether I am able to play ARMA II at medium or better settings? I am looking to increase my gaming catalogue and I have been without a computer for about 3 years now, and all i have that are current is GTA 4, plus some older titles (Command & Conquer Generals/Zero Hour, Battle for Middle Earth, Half Life) so i don't know really what i'm missing out on.

Here is my machine (after some diligent research in these sacred forums), please don't hold back on your comments :) 

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition
MB: Gigabyte GA 880-UDR5 (a bit hazy on this one, can't remember the specs)
GPU: xfx 5850 1GB
RAM: G skill ripjaw 2x 2GB 1600Mhz
PSU: Antec 750 W true power
Case: Antec 900 2
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Monitor: 24inch BenQ E2420 HD 2ms
Desktop: Logitech mouse and keyboard (generic i guess)

Many thanks in advance


And i just saw all this info inmy signature... derrrrrrrrr
m
0
l
August 31, 2010 4:09:14 AM

that looks like a solid build. should serve you well
m
0
l
Related resources
August 31, 2010 9:36:47 AM

Looks good!
Get an SSD if you still have room on your budget.
OCZ Vertex 2, or Crucial C300
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 5:58:31 AM

Quote:
Get an SSD if you still have room on your budget.


As I am still reacquainting myself with all things PC, what are the advantages (and disadvantages) to SSD? Solid State Drive?
m
0
l

Best solution

September 2, 2010 7:22:15 AM

Advantage :
- Speed, speed and again speed. Extremely faster booting time, extremely faster program loading time (including games)...but no frame rate increase..
- Low noise, low power, almost no heat, mechanical shock resistant.

Disadvantage :
- Expensive, expensive, again expensive
- has a theoretical performance down time and live (not a big problem here, SSD will hold on about 3-5 years without siginificant performance drop with TRIM technology, by that time, you will be replacing it with a better one).
Share
September 2, 2010 10:56:49 PM

guanyu210379 said:
Advantage :
- Speed, speed and again speed. Extremely faster booting time, extremely faster program loading time (including games)...but no frame rate increase..
- Low noise, low power, almost no heat, mechanical shock resistant.

Disadvantage :
- Expensive, expensive, again expensive
- has a theoretical performance down time and live (not a big problem here, SSD will hold on about 3-5 years without siginificant performance drop with TRIM technology, by that time, you will be replacing it with a better one).


I notice some people combine the drives, SSD of their OS and HDD for everything else. Is this because it keeps the OS near perfect whilst everything else is replacable?

And thanks for the info, I may have to consider it (probably when the prices come down, already spent 2k on this build!)
m
0
l
September 2, 2010 10:57:31 PM

Best answer selected by Refugeesus.
m
0
l
September 3, 2010 7:06:27 AM

Reaons to put only your OS and programs in the SSD
1. SSD has limitation on how many times i can be written, this where TRIM comes in to prolong SSDs lifetime.
2. Such big capacity to hold all your data? Hmmm...SSD is expensive.
3. SSDs will give you benefits only during booting, program loading (map loading in games too). Almost no effect on photos, video, office files and music loading.
m
0
l
!