Sign in with
Your question

I think this HDD just died and my mom is gonna hang me, plz help!

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2012 7:16:21 PM

Hello all!

Please help me, or my mom is gonna kill me for sure!

Recently I installed wow on my pc (which is a new pc) and played, I liked it and I told my brother to play also, but his laptop is too old to play. So I remembered my mom used to have a pentium 4 (her old pc) from which I took and IDE HDD some time ago and installed it into her new pc, her new pc was my old pc which is an AMD with an ASUS mobo.

So what I did is, I wanted to give her her old pentium 4 with her HDD (cuz she only works word and excel) and give my brother the AMD which would be great to run wow. Sadly, when I plugged the pentium 4 the PSU was dead and I noticed this cuz I connected the PSU on the AMD to the Intel MOBO and I didnt turned it on but a green led turned on so I know it wasnt the mobo but the psu, so nothing to do there, before I tested this PSU I removed the two IDE Hard Drives from the AMD but just placed them there on the table, I did nothing with them. Then I placed all back together on the AMD (the HDD and the PSU) and I turned it on to see everything was ok, and everything was just like before. My mom has really important documents and stuff. That was yesterday.

Today, my mom turned it on, she logged in, she opened chrome, started browsing everything was cool... She opened facebook and wanted to write something to a friend and here problems started... It wont write. I figured it out it was the PS/2 keyboard that I left it unplugged. I plugged it back in and it wouldn't type so I remembered PS/2 keyboards sometimes needs restart. I restarted the pc normally, Start -> Restart and all that. It took more than 5 minutes to restart, when it finally did, and the windows XP loading screen showed up, then... BSOD :cry:  !!!!!!!!!! And started showing so many errors and warnings C/windows/ something, C/windows/something system 32 and like that. Then it finally stopped and restarted, then it showed the typical "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device" error.

I went to the BIOS and both Primary IDE master and Primary IDE Slave are Not Detected. .... Did this HDD just suffered a cardiopulmonary arrest in front of me? Please help! or my face is the one that is not gonna be detected cuz my mom is gonna kill me.!!

Thanks!!
a b Ý World of Warcraft
a c 119 G Storage
December 5, 2012 7:50:25 PM

Have you tried taking out the hard drives and seeing if they can be detected in another computer ? It seems like the most importasnt thing at the moment is the data on the hard drives so getting them to work and getting the data safely off would be the thing to try and do.
m
l
December 5, 2012 8:05:00 PM

inzone said:
Have you tried taking out the hard drives and seeing if they can be detected in another computer ? It seems like the most importasnt thing at the moment is the data on the hard drives so getting them to work and getting the data safely off would be the thing to try and do.

I cant! My pc only has SATA connections not IDE, so that the only working machine with IDE support is my mom's AMD pc!
m
l
Related resources
December 5, 2012 8:20:33 PM

Dude, you can't just willy nilly take a drive from one computer and slap it another computer ESPECIALLY if one is an Intel based platform and the other an AMD. The operating system has chipset and drivers that are installed to only communicate with the hardware they were originally installed on. If you keep trying to boot a drive that was running on an Intel motherboard on an AMD or vice versa, your going to trash the operating system and your Mom should hang you. You need to put the BOOT drives back in the system they were originally installed on and see if windows on that system will not be so trashed it is able to rebuild or fix any errors you have created.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 5, 2012 8:28:46 PM

Also, a light on the motherboard doesn't mean it's the PSU. Many, MANY motherboards will develop bad caps that will provide power to the motherboard and not even turn on. A light means nothing. That's why I have a PSU tester in my shop, $3 from China and it tests every power pin on any type of power supply.
m
l
December 5, 2012 8:39:49 PM

warezme said:
Dude, you can't just willy nilly take a drive from one computer and slap it another computer ESPECIALLY if one is an Intel based platform and the other an AMD. The operating system has chipset and drivers that are installed to only communicate with the hardware they were originally installed on. If you keep trying to boot a drive that was running on an Intel motherboard on an AMD or vice versa, your going to trash the operating system and your Mom should hang you. You need to put the BOOT drives back in the system they were originally installed on and see if windows on that system will not be so trashed it is able to rebuild or fix any errors you have created.

Yes I know!, but I never placed the disk into the other system, the other system is dead the PSU is not working. I just unplugged the HDD's and put em on the table, then I put em back in the original system! So actually I never placed one disk into a different system.
m
l
December 11, 2012 2:20:51 PM

Anything else anybody can tell me plz? To be noted: I never placed the hdd into the other system, I just removed it.
m
l
a c 303 G Storage
December 11, 2012 6:16:46 PM

It could be that one of the drives is hanging up the IDE port and making the other one look bad.

Try installing one drive at a time and jumpering it as the master on its own cable.
m
l
December 11, 2012 6:39:34 PM

Dude, sometimes this stuffs stop working without an explanation. Did you check if the mobo has 2 IDE slots? If the answer is yes, try to connect only one HDD at the time in each slot. This is just to discart the possibility of a broken IDE slot.
m
l
!