Sign in with
Your question

What is a better motherboard Mini-ITX, micro ATX or Standard ATX?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 16, 2011 4:49:45 PM

I'm going to buy a Antec - Dark Fleet CF-85 Full Tower Case as part of a Custom PC. I was wondering which Mother Board was better out of a Mini-ITX, a micro ATX or a Standard ATX MotherBoard as these are the only motherboards compatable.

Thanks
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 5:31:39 PM

Standard atx boards start at around $70, depending on the age of the chipset. Micro-atx start at around $50, so it's up to you as to how many slots you use and whether you want onboard video.
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2011 5:34:56 PM

Standard ATX without contest. The extra pcie slot will become valuable over the year as you put more expansion card to the build.
July 21, 2011 2:57:03 PM

it's a matter of preference my friend... micro-atx has become more popular, even with some enthusiasts... I see a lot of people with atx cases, but sometimes it's unnecessary... There are even people I've encountered that purchase the Maximus IV Extreme (1155) board for $350, and get a single card..supposedly to add another video card down the road, and it's foolish IMO..

Instead you could pickup a very nice matx case like the Silverstone TJ08-E and throw the matx Maximus IV Gene Z with similar features as it's bigger brother, but fewer fan headers, pci slots, etc... but, near identical overclocking potential for more than half the price
As I said..it just depends on yourself..I personally opted for a matx this time around and it's the best..saves space, looks great..and i dont need more than 2 pci slots if I have a 6990, gtx 590, or even a single gtx 580 with plans to add later..and even if I dont add another one down the road I saved hundreds by getting a matx setup...
!