Your question

Creating a wlan with a mobile broadband adapter

Tags:
  • Connectivity
  • Internet Connection
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 13, 2010 8:01:55 PM

Hi. I just bought a linksys wrt120n wireless router with the intention of making a wireless network in my house with a shared internet connection. My primary internet connection is a Sierra wireless compass 597 EVDO mobile network adapter. The reason for this is that my house is in the sticks and we don't have a broadband line out here. Luckily, we are just on the edge of cell phone range so the network adapter saves us from the horror that is a 24.0 kb/s dial up connection.

I'm running windows 7. All that I'm trying to do run the 3g connection on this pc, connect this pc to the router via lan cable and have the router boost the internet connection to all other wireless devices in my house. I am fairly computer savvy (more so with xp than 7, but that's another topic for another day) and have been unable to get this thing working. One other thing; when I enter "192.168.1.1" into an internet browser to check the settings for the router I always get the "The connection was reset" error.

thanks in advance

More about : creating wlan mobile broadband adapter

July 14, 2010 4:33:27 PM

orl13 said:

One other thing; when I enter "192.168.1.1" into an internet browser to check the settings for the router I always get the "The connection was reset" error.

thanks in advance

Is that while cabled to the router?

m
l
July 14, 2010 8:13:35 PM

Yes. I finally managed to access the router config page via 192.168.1.1. That's a step in the right direction, but I'm still fighting it. I've tried plugging the lan cable from the pc into the internet port and port 1 on the router (not at the same time) still to no avail.
m
l
July 15, 2010 5:49:45 AM

orl13 said:
Yes. I finally managed to access the router config page via 192.168.1.1. That's a step in the right direction, but I'm still fighting it. I've tried plugging the lan cable from the pc into the internet port and port 1 on the router (not at the same time) still to no avail.

[#0005ff]You're looking to share the computer's Internet connection so it may be a simple matter of running the Network Setup Wizard to reflect that change. The LAN port on the router will be the right one I believe but I've no experience of that particular router. [/#000ff]
m
l
!