Moving shared documents so XP recognizes new location

June 27, 2005 4:56:13 PM

Can someone please explain what I have to do to get XP to recognize that I
have installed a larger hard drive in my computer and I have moved the Shared
Documents folder to that new drive (F:) .
I can't figure out how to do this for the Shared Documents folder. I seem to
have managed to do fine with My Documents, just not Shared Documents.
Any advice someone could give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
George
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:20:09 PM

George,

Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
it. The value which present there by default is
"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
say 'D:\SharedDocs'

To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder along
with Shared Documents, try this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

In the right-pane:
- Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
- Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
- Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path

No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
One space in between (Common Documents)

Credit to Keith Miller for the above.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"George, the neophyte" <Georgetheneophyte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:7F86229A-F69F-464C-8EB2-6C1F55ED7D2A@microsoft.com...
> Can someone please explain what I have to do to get XP to recognize that I
> have installed a larger hard drive in my computer and I have moved the
> Shared
> Documents folder to that new drive (F:) .
> I can't figure out how to do this for the Shared Documents folder. I seem
> have managed to do fine with My Documents, just not Shared Documents.
> Any advice someone could give me would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> George
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:20:10 PM

Hi Ramesh -

Thank you (and Keith) for that feedback. I will try it later today and
hopefully not mess up my registry!

Thank you for heling me out.
George

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> George,
>
> Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
> it. The value which present there by default is
> "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
> say 'D:\SharedDocs'
>
> To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder along
> with Shared Documents, try this:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> In the right-pane:
> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path
>
> No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
> One space in between (Common Documents)
>
> Credit to Keith Miller for the above.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...
>

> "George, the neophyte" <Georgetheneophyte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:7F86229A-F69F-464C-8EB2-6C1F55ED7D2A@microsoft.com...
> > Can someone please explain what I have to do to get XP to recognize that I
> > have installed a larger hard drive in my computer and I have moved the
> > Shared
> > Documents folder to that new drive (F:) .
> > I can't figure out how to do this for the Shared Documents folder. I seem
> > have managed to do fine with My Documents, just not Shared Documents.
> > Any advice someone could give me would be appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> > George

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:10:33 AM

George,

If you're concerned, create a System Restore point, or export the selected
branch before modifying.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

--

in message news:544ED65A-B9EB-4832-8453-D83847FFC51C@microsoft.com...