Moving shared documents so XP recognizes new location

Can someone please explain what I have to do to get XP to recognize that I
have installed a larger hard drive in my computer and I have moved the Shared
Documents folder to that new drive (F:).
I can't figure out how to do this for the Shared Documents folder. I seem to
have managed to do fine with My Documents, just not Shared Documents.
Any advice someone could give me would be appreciated.
Thanks,
George
3 answers Last reply
More about moving shared documents recognizes location

    George,

    Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders

    In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
    it. The value which present there by default is
    "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
    say 'D:\SharedDocs'

    To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder along
    with Shared Documents, try this:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders

    In the right-pane:
    - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
    - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
    - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path

    No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
    One space in between (Common Documents)

    Credit to Keith Miller for the above.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "George, the neophyte" <Georgetheneophyte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:7F86229A-F69F-464C-8EB2-6C1F55ED7D2A@microsoft.com...
    > Can someone please explain what I have to do to get XP to recognize that I
    > have installed a larger hard drive in my computer and I have moved the
    > Shared
    > Documents folder to that new drive (F:).
    > I can't figure out how to do this for the Shared Documents folder. I seem
    > have managed to do fine with My Documents, just not Shared Documents.
    > Any advice someone could give me would be appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > George

    Hi Ramesh -

    Thank you (and Keith) for that feedback. I will try it later today and
    hopefully not mess up my registry!

    Thank you for heling me out.
    George

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > George,
    >
    > Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders
    >
    > In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
    > it. The value which present there by default is
    > "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
    > say 'D:\SharedDocs'
    >
    > To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder along
    > with Shared Documents, try this:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    > Shell Folders
    >
    > In the right-pane:
    > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
    > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
    > - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path
    >
    > No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
    > One space in between (Common Documents)
    >
    > Credit to Keith Miller for the above.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "George, the neophyte" <Georgetheneophyte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in message news:7F86229A-F69F-464C-8EB2-6C1F55ED7D2A@microsoft.com...
    > > Can someone please explain what I have to do to get XP to recognize that I
    > > have installed a larger hard drive in my computer and I have moved the
    > > Shared
    > > Documents folder to that new drive (F:).
    > > I can't figure out how to do this for the Shared Documents folder. I seem
    > > have managed to do fine with My Documents, just not Shared Documents.
    > > Any advice someone could give me would be appreciated.
    > > Thanks,
    > > George

    George,

    If you're concerned, create a System Restore point, or export the selected
    branch before modifying.
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

    --

    in message news:544ED65A-B9EB-4832-8453-D83847FFC51C@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Ramesh -
    >
    > Thank you (and Keith) for that feedback. I will try it later today and
    > hopefully not mess up my registry!
    >
    > Thank you for heling me out.
    > George
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> George,
    >>
    >> Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    >> Shell Folders
    >>
    >> In the right-pane, look for the entry "Common Documents" and double-click
    >> it. The value which present there by default is
    >> "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Documents". Change the value to the redirected folder,
    >> say 'D:\SharedDocs'
    >>
    >> To redirect the Shared Music, Shared Pictures and Shared Video folder
    >> along
    >> with Shared Documents, try this:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    >> Shell Folders
    >>
    >> In the right-pane:
    >> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonMusic and set it's path
    >> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonPictures and set it's path
    >> - Create a REG_SZ named CommonVideo and set it's path
    >>
    >> No space in between these words (CommonVideo, CommonMusic, CommonVideo).
    >> One space in between (Common Documents)
    >>
    >> Credit to Keith Miller for the above.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "George, the neophyte" <Georgetheneophyte@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >> wrote
    >> in message news:7F86229A-F69F-464C-8EB2-6C1F55ED7D2A@microsoft.com...
    >> > Can someone please explain what I have to do to get XP to recognize
    >> > that I
    >> > have installed a larger hard drive in my computer and I have moved the
    >> > Shared
    >> > Documents folder to that new drive (F:).
    >> > I can't figure out how to do this for the Shared Documents folder. I
    >> > seem
    >> > have managed to do fine with My Documents, just not Shared Documents.
    >> > Any advice someone could give me would be appreciated.
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > George

Configuration Windows XP