Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 "cannot complete installation - can't configure to hardware"

Last response: in Windows 7
November 8, 2011 5:48:36 PM

Hello,

I am totally at my wits end. Been trying to get Windows 7 Home Edition to work on my pc for the last 4 days but no joy.

I installed it first on Sunday, which worked, loaded up and I started putting on my antivirus, updating graphics drivers and windows updates. Then, it all froze on me, and since then I have been unable to load Windows 7 at all.
I assumed it was down to a corrupt download/update it had done, so I tried the Repair option on the Windows 7 disc. No fix there...
So, I decided to format the drive, and redo a clean install, but now, it reaches Completing Installation stage, and either goes into a reboot loop, over and over, or it reaches the Setting Registry Settings, and then goes into a reboot loop.
I've tried so many options through the google sites, but nothing is making it work again. Can anyone advise me what to do to fix this and get it working again?
a b $ Windows 7
November 8, 2011 5:59:32 PM

samd_31 said:
Hello,

I am totally at my wits end. Been trying to get Windows 7 Home Edition to work on my pc for the last 4 days but no joy.

I installed it first on Sunday, which worked, loaded up and I started putting on my antivirus, updating graphics drivers and windows updates. Then, it all froze on me, and since then I have been unable to load Windows 7 at all.
I assumed it was down to a corrupt download/update it had done, so I tried the Repair option on the Windows 7 disc. No fix there...
So, I decided to format the drive, and redo a clean install, but now, it reaches Completing Installation stage, and either goes into a reboot loop, over and over, or it reaches the Setting Registry Settings, and then goes into a reboot loop.
I've tried so many options through the google sites, but nothing is making it work again. Can anyone advise me what to do to fix this and get it working again?

The boot.ini file probably has a reference to setup which is causing the boot loop. You might have to remove that entry. I would back it up 1st.
November 8, 2011 6:51:16 PM

How much memory and how big is your hard drive. If you have over 12gb try removing a few sticks and installing windows.
Related resources
November 8, 2011 9:10:23 PM

Thanks all for your replies folks, I will take a look at the boot.ini file tomorrow, and see if that helps.

I have 4gb of RAM, my HDD is 160gb (i have 2 HDD's both the same and tried installing Windows to both but they get the same error and reboot loop). I have an nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 512 graphics card, a 2.7ghz Quad Core Processor, and Creative X-Fi Soundcard.

I read through the windows 7 forum link and tried their solutions already but no luck with that. I did have partitions but did a full format on both my HDD's so that should no longer be an issue.

I've tried going through command prompts looking at some file called Panther, but mine appears empty so unable to try anything with that.

I've also attempted a 'solution' via REGEDIT and the HKLM\SYSTEM\SYSTEM but for some reason I have no SYSTEM folder there to work with....

I have also read that some found it helpful to change something in their BIOS to VGA? I don't think I can do this. I would need a cable that has a male 15 pin DVI one end and a female 9 pin VGA at the other which I'm not even sure exists - I've tried our local shops and I can find nothing remotely like what I would require to set this up :) 

I will add that I ran the Windows 7 compatibility software before I attempted to install it, so I know my system should handle it (which it did on its initial install)

Thanks all for your suggestions I will keep trying!

November 8, 2011 9:45:07 PM

"I have also read that some found it helpful to change something in their BIOS to VGA? I don't think I can do this. I would need a cable that has a male 15 pin DVI one end and a female 9 pin VGA at the other which I'm not even sure exists - I've tried our local shops and I can find nothing remotely like what I would require to set this up"

What? It's a standard DVI to VGA adaptor, which is 15 pins not 9. 9 pins is an RS232 which more of an analog signal. Maybe it's used for some type of esoteric testing
November 8, 2011 10:03:57 PM

Heres an idea for you, try a linux live disk or another windows operating system, if either work its isolated to the windows 7 installation, if not its a hardware problem. I honestly dont think its a problem with the 7 installation i think there is an underlying hardware issue that needs to be repaired. I am thinking power or memory which are generally the biggest cause of reboots especially around initial boot-up or soon after.
November 9, 2011 7:53:21 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
"I have also read that some found it helpful to change something in their BIOS to VGA? I don't think I can do this. I would need a cable that has a male 15 pin DVI one end and a female 9 pin VGA at the other which I'm not even sure exists - I've tried our local shops and I can find nothing remotely like what I would require to set this up"

What? It's a standard DVI to VGA adaptor, which is 15 pins not 9. 9 pins is an RS232 which more of an analog signal. Maybe it's used for some type of esoteric testing

Oh yes I know, I have them already but this isn't to plug into my dedicated graphics card, it apparently is for the onboard graphics which others tell me worked for them, then they find the correct driver to run it via the dedicated once its set up. Problem I have is my onboard graphics port is a male 9 pin VGA...
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2011 9:41:19 AM

Remove one of the HDD, then install window 7 and see if problem persist.
November 9, 2011 4:27:07 PM

Pyree said:
Remove one of the HDD, then install window 7 and see if problem persist.

Ok, I'v tried removing the IDE drive, but no luck installing to the SATA drive, it failed at the "extending Windows Files" at 11%. I will attempt just the IDE drive next.

EDIT: Windows 7 can't even see the IDE drive yet BIOS can :??: 

I retried installing to the SATA drive this time with the Sound Card removed. It got to Completing Installation, then rebooted again. I feel this is going to be a matter of trial and error. Hopefully I will find a cable or two for me to plug the monitor into my Onboard graphics, so I can remove the Dedicated Graphics Card as well and see if it will just run with the Motherboard and Sata drive... :sweat: 
November 10, 2011 7:58:32 PM

[SOLVED]

I think I have solved my problem, my pc has now been able to load up a few times without problems.

It took a while to figure out what the problem was, but it took a lot of trial and error. This is what I came up with:

1) I started removing hardware as Pyree suggested to remove a Hard Drive, so I decided to work along these lines.

Firstly I removed my sound card. I tried installing Windows 7 with both HDD's connected, but at the Setup of Registry Settings, it failed and started rebooting again.

So I firstly tried unplugging the SATA. At first the Windows disc would not recognise the IDE disc so I totally shut down, and rebooted. It then saw my IDE disc which I partitioned into 2 80GB partitions. Windows created a small 100mb partition and starting installing. At the Extending Windows Files, it failed at 11% suggesting an error and that it could not install to the disc. I let the system restart.
At the Windows Install screen, I plugged back in the SATA drive, partitioned it into 2x 80GB partitions, and let it try to install windows from there. It reached 30% on the Extending Windows Files and rebooted with an error.
3rd time around, I let the system continue with the boot up without pressing a key to load from the CD. Once it had started the Extending Windows Files, I unplugged the IDE.
This time, it went straight through the whole process with its normal restarts and no fails.

Once into windows, I installed Antivirus and various drivers. Windows update started and wanted to reboot, so I let it. This then started off the reboot loop again. For some reason, the updates were messing with my system as well.

I did a Repair Computer, through the Windows 7 disc, it asked if I wanted to do a System Restore, so I said yes. It took about 20 mins to do the entire fix, I initially assumed it had crashed, but I left it. It then went through restart and booted up again, and finished off the updates.

Since then, no more trouble, though I did have to manually set up my other disc drives, as Windows 7 was not recognising them. I did this through the Disc Management ( Right Click Computer on Desktop and select Disk Management.) I had to right click each disc and create them all as a Simple Disc. This then allowed them to activate and now Windows sees everything.

Hopefully no more trouble now, fingers crossed. It took a long time to get this sorted but it was definately worth it. I love my new OS :) 
a b $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 6:42:59 AM

Good to hear that and fingers cross.

Remove all hardware to the bare minimum and add them on after Window installation is always a good idea.
!