I come to you in my hour of need - Inexplicable lag on a homebuilt rig

Greetings all.

I have built computers for many years, so this is certainly not my first time around the block.

Here is what I have in my rig right now:

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100269HDMI Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT 550W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (4x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Not a shabby build by any means, and so far as I can tell all bios/jumper settings are correct.

However I am getting some pretty funky lag when playing games like StarCraft 2 and Modern Warfare 2 even on medium settings or less.

I have multiple case fans (and in a well ventilated area), but I do only have stock fans for the components but no overclocking.

I have just purchased 3dMark06 Advanced and am running a full scan to which I will post a link of with a complete breakdown of system specs shortly.

Cause if I can't figure this out soon I'm just going to sell the whole dang thing and build a new one from scratch.

I appreciate the help!
7 answers Last reply
More about hour inexplicable homebuilt
  1. Thats a pretty nice rig there and I would think that the games you are talking about are not going to be anywhere near the capabilities of the system.

I have a similar setup of a 940 on an asus m3a78 board with 6gb of ddr2, a 550w psu, and a 4770 graphics card, i run both of those games at 1680x1050 at near max settings.

You mention the word lag? I assume your playing online multi-player? could this problem be due to internet connectivity? have your tried rebooting your modem, router, and computer....etc... have you run a speedtest on your connection? what type of connection do you have?

Hope that helps for you.
  2. I am running a 10mb Down, 2 mb Up cable modem service on a new Wireless N+ router. I have it physically connected to my rig using the MB Nic.

The results of my speed tests during the times I experience lag are right where they should be.

It is definitely PC based lag and not internet based lag such as packet loss or intermittent connectivity.
  3. Bump. Any thoughts??
  4. Hmmmmm, still no ideas? Any other websites that you all could refer me to that may be able to assist?
  5. To ceck if it's lag in your connection or with your PC, try the freeware "FRAPS" If your framerate is frequently below 30FPS, it's definitely a problem with your PC.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems