Nvdia GeForce 9800 compatible?

Will this graphics card fit in/work with my system?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+NVIDIA+GeForce+9800+GT+1GB+GDDR3+PCI+Express+Graphics+Card/8968094.p?id=1218006355798&skuId=8968094&st=GeForce%209800%20GT&cp=1&lp=2

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dimension 4700
BIOS: Pheonix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 AO2
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40 GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3070MB RAM DDR2
6 answers Last reply
More about nvdia geforce 9800 compatible
  1. Your Dell's PSU is only 305 watts, 9800GT recommends at least 400 watts for stability.

If you're set on a 9800 gt, you're gonna need a better power supply.

Source: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800gt_us.html
  2. Yes it will work in that computer.

EDIT - Yeah forgot about the Dell's PSUs.

Yeah Boris is right.
  3. Without replacing the power supply, I don't think it would work, as the specs say the total output of the power supply is 305w, which, with age, will be less efficient and more likely to fail.

EDIT: Wow, I was beaten to the punch in the time it took to type that!
  4. Thank you for taking the time to reply, everybody..

I'm not necessarily set on getting the 9800, as long as I find something at least as good.
    I don't exactly know what would make "A new power source" though. What I'd need could probably be purchased at Best Buy if I went in there to get the card though, right? It'd be easy to find?
  5. Though I would not recommend buying it from there (usually far overpriced and sold as a much higher performing card), your best bet will be around a Radeon HD 5670. It doesn't even require a 6-pin power connector, and should run fine in your system without adding a new power supply, though the new card's performance will be limited by your older CPU.
  6. Any card recently will be bottleneck by his CPU...
    HD3650 or GT220 maybe...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product