Sign in with
Your question

Question about SSD Raid 0 Degradation

Last response: in Storage
December 5, 2012 9:37:47 PM

Hello Tom's hardware forums,

I am currently running 2 Toshiba 512GB SSD drives in Raid 0 configuration. Initially my performance was great, but now after about 6 months I am noticing degrading performance, both in some games with heavy load times (Skyrim, Farcry3), and in bench marks. I realized when I set it up that Raid 0 does not support trim, but I did not realize the degradation would happen so soon. I was curious if anyone knows if I destroy the raid, and just set up the drives individually will that re-enable trim, or have I permanently degraded the performance of these drives?

Thanks,
a c 119 G Storage
December 5, 2012 9:54:03 PM

Trim will be re-enabled if you break the array, as far as permanently degrading the drives you would have to see once you did that. The combination of no trim and possibly doing too many benchmarks can have an accelerated effect on the drives. I don't mean to say that I know if you were constantly doing benchmarks but if you were that will contribute to the problem, defragging will also contribute
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
December 5, 2012 10:25:31 PM

Before you break the array Log off from Windows (not Shut down) before you go to sleep for 2 or 3 nights. See if idle Garbage Collection will restore performance.

If that doesn't work then you will have to break the array and Secure Erase the drives to restore them to fresh-out-of-the-box condition.
m
l
!