Sign in with
Your question

GigaByte x58 USB3 memory

Last response: in Motherboards
July 16, 2011 8:57:43 PM

I have or will have a REPAIRED X58; it had RAM recognization issues
I have 12 GB of CRUCIAL PC 8500 DDR3-1066
If I increase the RAM to 24 GB and a higher refresh rate (highest CRUCIAL offers) will I notice a difference in applications
Particularly interested in blu ray ripping and transcoding and CAD work
The blu ray work takes HOURS and that is fine; if the increase in RAM will SUBSTANTIALLY reduce the
'grind time' fine; however if it is only MARGINAL I won't switch or make the investment (~$250)
I am NOT overclockng the system
Have an i7 Processor; 2.8 GB I believe
Win 7 ultimate 64

THANKS for the opinions
a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2011 3:26:46 AM

Anything faster than 1600 is wasted.

24GB may not make a huge difference - it depends on the software you are using. To make matters worse, some X58 motherboards run faster with one bank than they do with two banks - you may find that two banks max out at 1066, but one bank can run at 1600 - it depends on the motherboard.
m
l
July 17, 2011 1:53:07 PM

compulsivebuilder said:
Anything faster than 1600 is wasted.

24GB may not make a huge difference - it depends on the software you are using. To make matters worse, some X58 motherboards run faster with one bank than they do with two banks - you may find that two banks max out at 1066, but one bank can run at 1600 - it depends on the motherboard.

thankx

since i pretty much ran all my rigs stock I wondered if all the hype was just that like 3-D tv

I do a lot of blu ray 'rendering' crunching for HOURS to get a 25gb+ movie down to DV-9 or DV-5 or even BD-25
The 50 GB blanks are TOO expensive; I'll just BUY the original

My CAD stuff is REAL simple... 2D NO 3D so not looking for a quantum leap in performance; re rendering takes seconds
this X58 board 'acted up' from the get go; hoping the 'fix' made it better
These Gigabyte units act SCREWILY with differnt cominations of RAM based on what the manual says to position them based on how many sticks
I guess I'll just save my $; I have seven 1066 2 GB sticks; probably enough... and I don't need bragging rights ;-)
I don't have 200 TB of drive space like the guys who fixed _The Wizard of OZ_ but I have enough ;-0
m
l
!