Sign in with
Your question

Packard bell ixtreme would not start, makes a whistling noise lasting around one

Last response: in CPUs
November 20, 2010 2:11:20 PM

Hello, thank you for reading this:
My Packard Bell computer refused to start (dark screen, hard drive light off) and emitted a whistling noise (as described above). Took it for repairs, only to be told that the motherboard, CPU and RAM are destroyed, according to the technician, due to a power unit malfunction. I was advised to buy a new computer, as the warranty expired.
Please your opinion and advice.
a c 103 à CPUs
November 20, 2010 2:15:36 PM

Trust the opinion of a technician?
have a knowledgable friend examine components?
find data recovery people in phone book for anything you need off the old laptop?

I'm out of ideas :) 
Moto
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2010 2:41:29 PM

Before I had even read your post about seen a tech, I was going to tell you the same exact thing. Your PSU is definitely dead, but I cannot say anything about your other componants without looking at them personally. But.... If your interested in trying to revive it, find a PSU that you can put in there and test your PC with. That is of course the tech didnt do that for you already, i would suspect he did, or at least should have being a PC tech. But you nnever know, cant really trust everyone in this world.
!