Can I dedicate another video card to do Phys X?

Guardianx1015

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Hello I currently have a GTX 465 and a GTS 250 that's just gathering dust and I read on some older forums that you can dedicate one of your GPU's to handle Phys X while the other handles the graphics. I do have an SLI board but the sli is 8x if that even matters. I also have a psu that will support it. Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this thanks for the help.

Solution
Check out the independent reviews and decide for yaself if PhysX is worth it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylum,2465-11.html

Turning on PhysX isn't necessary for gameplay, and you'll never miss it if you don't see the effects. However, when PhysX is enabled, it adds superlative nuances and really creates some “wow” moments. The chunky explosions, cloth effects, paper, fog, and environmental detail enhancements are very cool.

the eye candy is a lot of fun to watch. Once you've turned it on, it's not something you'll turn off if your hardware can handle it.

Watch the movie for a side by side w/ PhysX on and off .... should make it an easy decision either way...

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
yes, u can dedicate the gts250 for phys x, doesnt matter if its x8 or x16 anyway. but think about it, not all games support physX, and its not like u will miss a lot without it, but u will spend more electricity and bill. u better off selling the gts 250.

Guardianx1015

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Alright so it's still the same you need to monitors thing for it though right? and also do you need to connect them using an sli cord? still kinda new to this and it'd be great to know cuz i also have an 8400 gs i might use in a dif rig for phys x for my gts 250 instead im not sure yet

solidnickel

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

But the ones that do? I am sure that the OP would want to enable physx when available; it also takes a huge workload off the main gpu and the OP has more to gain by keeping the card rather then selling for little to nothing. Mafia 2 is supose to have physx btw; looking to be like a AAA tittle as well.

Batman AA really looks nice with the added physx features as well. If the game supports it; I wanna enable it ;)

Check out the independent reviews and decide for yaself if PhysX is worth it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylum,2465-11.html

Turning on PhysX isn't necessary for gameplay, and you'll never miss it if you don't see the effects. However, when PhysX is enabled, it adds superlative nuances and really creates some “wow” moments. The chunky explosions, cloth effects, paper, fog, and environmental detail enhancements are very cool.

the eye candy is a lot of fun to watch. Once you've turned it on, it's not something you'll turn off if your hardware can handle it.

Watch the movie for a side by side w/ PhysX on and off .... should make it an easy decision either way.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/batman_arkham_asylum_physx_performance/page2.asp

While you could easily get away w/ a cheaper card for PhysX, but with new 250 GTS going for $79 - $89 w/ free game(s) included, it's not like you will get a lot of $ for your "old" 250....and it don't cost you anything to try it.

Solution