Mainboard problem

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Power
  • LED Monitor
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 16, 2011 10:29:42 PM

Hi, i've got problem with my customer mainboard. I just want to know which part that's broken.

Everytime i press the power, the green power led stay on but everything else don't, CPU and PSU fan, HDD and DVD drive are off. But when i keep pressing the power buton for 3 seconds the power led does turn off.

I already know that it's the mainboard that is broken since i've tried to change the mainboard and it's working just fine now. I just want to know which part of the mainboard that broke down so i can try to fix it. The board is 5 years old ASRock. Is there a chance that a cap has gone bad or the power line on the mainboard got shorted?

More about : mainboard problem

a c 436 V Motherboard
July 17, 2011 2:56:32 AM

All you can do is inspect for bad caps. Normally, they have a brown ooze around the top or are buldging slightly. I've never tried replacing them, but it's possible with the proper solder gun and solder. The caps are very inexpensive, maybe $1 each. You have to match them pretty close. Sorry I can't link you to instructions.
m
l
July 17, 2011 1:17:33 PM

o1die said:
All you can do is inspect for bad caps. Normally, they have a brown ooze around the top or are buldging slightly. I've never tried replacing them, but it's possible with the proper solder gun and solder. The caps are very inexpensive, maybe $1 each. You have to match them pretty close. Sorry I can't link you to instructions.

Thanks o1die I'm curious since there's no sign of buldging cap. Just some mold or moisture (i'm not sure what it is) trace on the back side of the mainboard. Haven't try to wash it with soap or alcohol. Sometimes it would work just by washing and brushing though. Just make sure it's completely dry before testing.

I've successfully fixed MSI P31 Neo which have a few bad caps that cause constant restart recently. But i got no clue about this one.
m
l