Would it be benificial to run a 9800 gtx+ as a physics card, and....

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbansaint

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
would it be benificial to run a 9800 gtx+ as a physics card, and run a gtx 460 as the graphics card? if so i would like to know about it because i own both cards i just need to purchase a new mobo. If you can find any performance charts or graphs or if you just know first hand i would be happy to hear from you!

Thanks,Urbansaint

Solution
A few months ago on the Nvidia forums, there was a group of people debating whether using a dedicated PhysX card when you already have an Nvidia card as your main GPU would help at all. The results seemed to indicate that all you accomplish is to use more power and generate more heat.

At best, it was a couple percent improvement -- and in many cases, such as when the main GPU was fast already, using a second card for dedicated PhysX actually decreased performance.

I wish I could find that thread again, but it seems like it's dropped off the face of the Internet. Bottom line though, not worth the trouble IMO.

Also - yes, it would only have any effect in PhysX-enabled games to begin with. It's not splitting the general workload...

lowriderflow

Distinguished
Well you could... as you said you need a motherboard with two PCI express slots. (ideally two x16 slots b/c you dont want the 9800gtx robbing bandwidth from you 460) - also, you'd have to be sure your power supply can handle it.

Ultimately, its really not worth it. Only a few games use it, and even then its just for additional graphics. Sure since you have it it'd be nice, but it's gonna cost you $200 for a motherboard just to use it and not really going to help that much.

I'd say sell the card on ebay.... and in the future scoop up an SLI mobo and a 2nd GTX460. Hope you got my reply about the overclock setup too... you dont want to crank the memory that high. Please see my reply on your other thread :0

urbansaint

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
yeah my psu can handle it for sure but yeah in the future i would like to add another gtx 460 becasue those fermi cards are so sick running sli they actually utalize the fermi chip, unlike if you took 9800 gtx + and sli'd them its only like an 18% increase i have heard. i did get your message about the oc and thanks for that! i marked yours as the best answere :)

A few months ago on the Nvidia forums, there was a group of people debating whether using a dedicated PhysX card when you already have an Nvidia card as your main GPU would help at all. The results seemed to indicate that all you accomplish is to use more power and generate more heat.

At best, it was a couple percent improvement -- and in many cases, such as when the main GPU was fast already, using a second card for dedicated PhysX actually decreased performance.

I wish I could find that thread again, but it seems like it's dropped off the face of the Internet. Bottom line though, not worth the trouble IMO.

Also - yes, it would only have any effect in PhysX-enabled games to begin with. It's not splitting the general workload up among the cards like in SLI.

Solution

Helltech

Distinguished

I remember that thread. I was looking for it a couple weeks ago. Good to know I didn't make it up in my head. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.