Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Would it be benificial to run a 9800 gtx+ as a physics card, and....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2010 1:36:20 AM

would it be benificial to run a 9800 gtx+ as a physics card, and run a gtx 460 as the graphics card? if so i would like to know about it because i own both cards i just need to purchase a new mobo. If you can find any performance charts or graphs or if you just know first hand i would be happy to hear from you!

Thanks,Urbansaint
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 1:52:10 AM

Well, how many games do you plan on playing that use physx? I think thats a more determining factor. However in games that do use it, you will see a performance increase, yes.
Score
July 27, 2010 2:03:55 AM

so your saying it will only benefit me on physx tiltles or would it not take a load off my gtx 460 while playing bfbc2? or just cause?
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 2:13:29 AM

Well you could... as you said you need a motherboard with two PCI express slots. (ideally two x16 slots b/c you dont want the 9800gtx robbing bandwidth from you 460) - also, you'd have to be sure your power supply can handle it.

Ultimately, its really not worth it. Only a few games use it, and even then its just for additional graphics. Sure since you have it it'd be nice, but it's gonna cost you $200 for a motherboard just to use it and not really going to help that much.

I'd say sell the card on ebay.... and in the future scoop up an SLI mobo and a 2nd GTX460. Hope you got my reply about the overclock setup too... you dont want to crank the memory that high. Please see my reply on your other thread :0
Score
July 27, 2010 2:24:46 AM

yeah my psu can handle it for sure but yeah in the future i would like to add another gtx 460 becasue those fermi cards are so sick running sli they actually utalize the fermi chip, unlike if you took 9800 gtx + and sli'd them its only like an 18% increase i have heard. i did get your message about the oc and thanks for that! i marked yours as the best answere :) 
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 2:26:13 AM

urbansaint said:
so your saying it will only benefit me on physx tiltles or would it not take a load off my gtx 460 while playing bfbc2? or just cause?

It will only benefit you with Physx titles.
Score
July 27, 2010 3:38:12 AM

that sucks! well the card is worth more to me to keep it haha
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 5:12:37 AM

A few months ago on the Nvidia forums, there was a group of people debating whether using a dedicated PhysX card when you already have an Nvidia card as your main GPU would help at all. The results seemed to indicate that all you accomplish is to use more power and generate more heat.

At best, it was a couple percent improvement -- and in many cases, such as when the main GPU was fast already, using a second card for dedicated PhysX actually decreased performance.

I wish I could find that thread again, but it seems like it's dropped off the face of the Internet. Bottom line though, not worth the trouble IMO.

Also - yes, it would only have any effect in PhysX-enabled games to begin with. It's not splitting the general workload up among the cards like in SLI.
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 27, 2010 5:14:49 AM

capt_taco said:
A few months ago on the Nvidia forums, there was a group of people debating whether using a dedicated PhysX card when you already have an Nvidia card as your main GPU would help at all. The results seemed to indicate that all you accomplish is to use more power and generate more heat.

At best, it was a couple percent improvement -- and in many cases, such as when the main GPU was fast already, using a second card for dedicated PhysX actually decreased performance.

I wish I could find that thread again, but it seems like it's dropped off the face of the Internet. Bottom line though, not worth the trouble IMO.

I remember that thread. I was looking for it a couple weeks ago. Good to know I didn't make it up in my head. :D 
Score
July 27, 2010 3:40:56 PM

Quote:
Keep u will need it if u want to play mafia 2

hell yeah man i want mafia 2 so it will increase performance on taht game?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 3:34:05 AM

urbansaint said:
hell yeah man i want mafia 2 so it will increase performance on taht game?

In a word, no. It probably won't increase performance on anything. (see earlier post above)
Score
July 28, 2010 5:02:01 PM

Best answer selected by urbansaint.
Score
July 28, 2010 5:02:31 PM

thanks alot taco man you made me decide to sell it haha!
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 5:21:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!