deltons

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Hey guys,

I just got a new Vertex 4 256gb SSD for my system and I seem to be running into a problem. I've have tried pretty much every solution to it that I have seen but none of it has fixed the problem.

Motherboard: Gigabyte p55a-ud3
CPU: i5 750

Problem:
When I first plugged the SSD in, I attempted to do a clean install of Windows 7 on it by booting from CD. The 1st time I went into the install, the device wasn't detected. I restarted the system and went back into the installation after checking the plugs and then it was detected. So I installed a fresh Windows 7 onto the SSD. It finished and went into Windows perfectly fine. Then I shut off the PC.

Anyways, the problem arose when I got home tonight. I started my PC and it went to the boot screen then returned "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". The BIOS wasn't detecting the hard drive anymore.

Here are all the things I have tried to fix it before posting here:
1) Check connections / tried a new SATA cable / tried different SATA ports / tried different power supply connections / made sure only thing connected was the SSD drive.

2) Switched from IDE to ACHI in BIOS.

3) Went back into Windows installation, and the SSD was no longer detected in there either. So I downloaded the F6 SATA Driver from gigabyte and installed it from USB in Windows installation. Still wasn't detected.

4) Put OCZ Toolbox Boot on USB and booted into the toolbox to try to update firmware / erase drive. SSD wasn't detected in the Toolbox either.

5) Cleared the CMOS and set BIOS back to optimized defaults.

At this point, I have no clue what is going on with it. I cannot figure out what is wrong with it.

I found something really odd in the Windows Install while trying to install the F6 SATA Driver. When I chose the drive to install the driver from, there was a drive labeled "Boot X: /". It had Program Files / Windows folders in it. I didn't think it was the USB drive but to make sure, I unplugged the USB drive and went back into Windows install with just the CD Drive and SSD plugged in. The X: / drive was still there. I feel like the X: / drive HAS to be the SSD. But I cannot get it to show up anywhere else. That is the ONLY place that I have seen it.

Anyways, I have no idea what to do at this point so any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

When installing Windows on a SSD there are certian things that you need to do first and not after the install.
Make sure that the sata mode is set to AHCI in the bios before you do the Windows install.
Make sure that the SSD is connected to the first Sata 3 port that is controlled by the Intel chip and not the marvell chip or asmaedia chip.
If you have a driver for the SSD then when you start the Windows install and you get to the part where you select the drive to install Windows on you need to select the add driver option at the bottom of the window.

deltons

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Thanks for the reply.

Like I said all of that is already done and Windows 7 is installed already ON the SSD. The problem is the fact that the SSD is no longer detected anymore after I turned the PC off once. Even if I wanted to reinstall Windows (which I HAVE tried), the SSD doesn't show up on the list to re-install it.

deltons

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Sorry for the slow response, been busy. But unfortunately no, I do not have another machine to test the drive on. I have been debating RMA'ing it since I cannot get it to show up anywhere on any SATA slot (marvell or intel).