New system doesn't boost with the old hard drive

bravedragon

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Hello,
I've just set up i7-930 with Gigabyte x58A-UD3R. I reuse my old hard drive which has all the window and run normally with my duo core. But the new system fail to initialize window. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Wamphryi

Distinguished
The Windows you are using was installed on what essentially was a different computer. You have to do a clean install to marry the OS to the new hardware. It needs drivers and activation amongst other things thus the clean install requirement. You cant just move an installed OS to a new hardware setup.

bravedragon

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Thank you for the quick reply. It's my first time building the system so there's a lot of trial and error. So the only way it'll work is to use a brand new hard drive, am I correct? I read the motherboard manual and still a little bit unclear. The manual suggests an empty formatted floppy disk to install SATA RAID/AHCI driver, but my comp doesn't have the floppy drive/disk, can I use USB drive instead? If I can use USB drive, then does it have to be empty? How can I install the SATA RAID/AHCI driver from a USB? the manual only show how to install from floppy disk :"insert the floppy disk and press <S>", what about USB? what do I press?
Thank you so much for your help.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
No you can simply format the existing hard drive using a Windows installation disk, then reinstall your operating system.

Obviously if you have important files on there you'd want to transfer them to another HDD, like an external.

The important things to remember is you need an installation disk(legal) and a place to put your files you wish to keep.

RAID? How many HDDs do you have? only 1? just ignore that RAID part.
AHCI? Wanna use AHCI? Just set it on BIOS, you don't have to install anything.