unreal runs too fast

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

i have just bought a laptop so we can play 3 way unreal (1) but it runs too
fast on the laptop, i have tried taking the game speed down but it also
slows my opponent down too. is there a patch or maybe my laptop is just too
fast.
thanks

Andrew

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 07:15:40 +0000 (UTC), "steve"
<steve@btinternet.com> wrote:

>i have just bought a laptop so we can play 3 way unreal (1) but it runs too
>fast on the laptop, i have tried taking the game speed down but it also
>slows my opponent down too. is there a patch or maybe my laptop is just too
>fast.

That has been asked and answered many times in the Unreal newsgroup.

steve wrote:
> i have just bought a laptop so we can play 3 way unreal (1) but it runs too
> fast on the laptop, i have tried taking the game speed down but it also
> slows my opponent down too. is there a patch or maybe my laptop is just too
> fast.
> thanks

Turn off speed stepping (or whatever it's called...the
option that throttles back your cpu during low usage
to conserve battery).

--
{AGUT}DeadMan
loyalty above all, save honor

{AGUT}DeadMan wrote:

> Turn off speed stepping (or whatever it's called...the
> option that throttles back your cpu during low usage
> to conserve battery).

Depending on the laptop and its age and operating system, he might have to
turn off all power management. This should be a new addition to the faq if
anyone is still maintaining or hosting it. I've recently seen a couple of
Toshibas and an eMachines that required all power management to be turned
off to disable speed stepping. In all three of those cases, having the
machine plugged into a power source instead of running on battery during
install was A-OK as well.

Andrew

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:00:04 -0600, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>
wrote:

>you got to love it when people refuse to answer a question just because it
>was asked before ;o(

I don't know the answer off hand, it is a years old FAQ that I have
never personally needed.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

actually, wold really like an answer to that question if someone has it.
after all, thats what newgroups are all about. in the past i have been hapy
to help others if i thought i could (on other NGs). I did try google etc but
just went round in circles
thatnks

steve wrote:
> actually, wold really like an answer to that question if someone has
> it. after all, thats what newgroups are all about. in the past i have
> been hapy to help others if i thought i could (on other NGs). I did
> try google etc but just went round in circles
> thatnks

DeadMan gave you the answer. You have to turn off speed stepping on your
processor on a laptop to get UT to run right. When you installed, you were
probbably running on battery. UT saw your processor running under power
saving which is about half speed.. Then, you tried to play it while plugged
in at some point and UT has no way of knowing that now your processor is
running full speed. - So, turn off the speed stepping on your processor
and UT will run normally.

GO TO...
CONTROL PANEL.
POWER OPTIONS
SET SCHEME TO ALWAYS ON

i had the same problem

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Have to wonder what this One-Post Wonder was googling to necro this particular thread.

Perhaps he just came up with a fix for a 10 year old game and wanted to spread some of his genius to us mere mortals -_-

xxtrentreznorxx if you ever decide to double your post count, please put my curious nature at rest :D