Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Stupid fans/PSU connections question...

Last response: in Components
November 20, 2010 5:41:23 PM

Hey there :) 

Assembling my first PC with my dad today and we're stuck.

How/where in the heck do we plug in the case fans? It's really stupid question, I know, but we can't get it. I looked in the manual for the mobo, case, and psu and they don't really say. Also... do things like the power button plug in to the mobo? Thanks.

Best solution

a c 137 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 5:52:02 PM

Case fans may have a 4 pin molex connector which plug into a matching lead from the PSU. The connectors may be open ended, so you can daisy chain several together. These fans will run at a max and constant speed.

Some case fans will have a 3 pin connector which can be plugged into a 3 pin fan header on the motherboard. These fans have a speed sensor which allows a program like speedfan to control the speed of the fans.

Some case fans will have both types of connectors, and you can use either.

The power button is a momentary switch whicl plugs into the PWR header on the motherboard. You can plug it in in either orientation. It is needed to start the pc.

Ditto for the reset button lead.

The LED lights for hard drive activity and power on status are polarity sensitive. If the lights don't work, no harm done, simply reverse them.
a c 104 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 5:52:53 PM

Probably the best information I can give you at this point is read section three:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post...

Your fans will either plug into your motherboard or the power supply, dependant on the connectors,
your cpu fan, the one on top of the cpu heatsink will plug into a corresponding cpu fan socket on the motherboard, any others are at your choice(depending on connectors ofc)
and yes, the powerswitch,reset switch, and any lighting for hdd activity etc will plug nto the front panel header on the mobo, check your motherboard manual for details on which pins go where.
And Well done to you both for taking the plunge :) 
Welcome to home-building guys and welcome to Toms
Moto
Score
Related resources
November 20, 2010 6:22:36 PM

Ok, by "dasiy chain" you mean the fans all connected to each other and then connect to wherever they get their power from? That's what my dad's trying to do right now.

Thanks for the help guys! I didn't address all your answers because we're taking this one step at a time but I'm sure I'll be back momentarily (hah hah...).

This is really fun :) ... building one!
Score
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 6:26:46 PM

Milanna said:

Ok, by "dasiy chain" you mean the fans all connected to each other and then connect to wherever they get their power from? That's what my dad's trying to do right now.

Thanks for the help guys! I didn't address all your answers because we're taking this one step at a time but I'm sure I'll be back momentarily (hah hah...).

This is really fun :) ... building one!

Yes, the 4 pin molex connectors will have a male side and a female side so you can connect a bunch together. Just like you can string Christmas lights together.

What case and motherboard are you working with?
Score
November 20, 2010 7:03:30 PM

Thanks! Yeah, we are going to try that daisy chain.

We're using a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobo and a Cooler Master 690-II advance. Which... brings me to another problem! The for the power/reset/etc f-panel buttons and LEDs... the instructions in the mobo manual use different colors than the wires in my case so I'm not sure which ones I'm actually supposed to plug in! Should I match colors... or words?
Score
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 7:21:35 PM

Milanna said:
Thanks! Yeah, we are going to try that daisy chain.

We're using a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R mobo and a Cooler Master 690-II advance. Which... brings me to another problem! The for the power/reset/etc f-panel buttons and LEDs... the instructions in the mobo manual use different colors than the wires in my case so I'm not sure which ones I'm actually supposed to plug in! Should I match colors... or words?

There are no standards on the colors.

Match the words. PWR RST HDD LED
Score
a c 104 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 7:39:18 PM

And as a rule, the most common colour, usually black or white is the ground wire
Moto
Score
November 20, 2010 8:44:58 PM

Alright... everything is connected now... but nothing is turning on. So lost! I tried a few things in the trouble shooting thread, but since I'm not sure what exactly to call my problem I'm not sure which of all the suggestions will be most useful (is booting the same thing as turning on?).

Basically... the "voltage LED" seems to flash when we flip on the power and push the button.... but that's it. No fans... nothing! The lights on the keyboard do go on though... so it seems like there's power somewhere? I already tried re-arranging the front panel connections... (but since we went with word matching I'm pretty sure we got them right the first time and the +/- were also correct) and it didn't help. I know the power for the cpu and mobo are both connected.

ETA: If the fan on my PSU (you know the one that's IN it) doesn't even come on, does that mean it's the PSU?

ETA 2: OMG WE ARE SO STUPID! Hahaha. The power switch on the back of the PSU? Yeah, we were turning it to off thinking it meant on. Oops. Nevermind :)  everything is working absolutely perfectly! On our first try... this is amazing!

Thank you so much for the help with the fans/etc! :love:  :love:  :love: 

~liz
Score
a c 104 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 9:57:17 PM

Rofl, I was reading your worries and I've done the same on my Gf's build, day before her b.day and I was under pressure, damn the backwards powerswitch at the back hehe,
glad its went well guys, enjoy your new pc :) 
Moto
Score
a c 137 ) Power supply
November 20, 2010 10:00:10 PM

Good job...
Score
November 21, 2010 1:58:08 AM

Best answer selected by Milanna.
Score
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2010 8:24:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey