Motherboard won't post past VGA led..

SD_987K

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Computer can run fine for months at a time till it is powered off then it will not post. Sometimes if I leave it off overnight it will start fine in the morning but sometimes I have to cycle the power 50 times before it will boot. Hangs at the VGA LED..

Please have a look at a 20 second video which shows the LED sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e3L1XGQX74

Thanks
Steinar

Intel Core i5 750
GeForce 7950 GT
ASUS P7P55D-E
4GB Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C8
OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply

SD_987K

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Don't think it's either as if the system would post it runs like a charm overclocked and everything. It's only after the power goes off it becomes an issue..

SD

Rainey

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

I have the same motherboard and have seen the same issue a few times.
I think it is the memory setting, if you push the mem OK button it should boot up fine.

Do you have have the ASUS tweaking software installed AI,V6, TIprobe and the others and is that what you used to change the memory or CPU speed ?
I think it sometimes leaves the setting bad and it don't boot.

SD_987K

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I'm pretty sure I tried that as well, it's been ongoing for a while and just got to the point where it wouldn't work at all. I have RMA'd the board and will wait on ASUS to send a replacement, it doesn't seem to be an isolated issue..

SD

SD_987K

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Update on issue. It turns out not to be motherboard related, I purchased a new power supply from NCIX and the issue is solved. Turns out when I mentioned the symptoms to the the tech at the shop he said that their are cold boots and warm boots. He said that the power supplies use different capacitors for each mode and that my cold boot capacitors were shot.

I don't think I will purchase another OCZ power supply as this broken one had been RMA'd once already under warranty. I purchased this one.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1182/2

SD