First gaming system? help appreciated

Hey guys. I'm 15 and have been saving up a year or so. So far managed to scrape together £700, (soon to be £900 when i sell this pc to a friend) and am looking to buy a gaming pc.
I've been looking at a couple and so far I think price-wise these are the best I'm really going to find. I will post the links below.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-210-OK&tool=3
I would choose the 5850 and windows 7 home premium with this one.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-237-OK&groupid=43&catid=1444&subcat=
I would choose the GTX470 and windows 7 home premium with this one.

OR i could have the first build with a GTX470 as well..
So basically i'm trying to choose between a heavily oc'ed core i3 (4.2ghz) and an AMD Athlon II X4 635 (2.9ghz)
and along with that, between a 5850 and a gtx470.
The main thing this pc will be used for is gaming on games like counter strike: source, MW2 and left for dead 2. Any advice would be really greatly appreciated.
I gotta go to work now but i'll be back in about 6 hours so i'll check back here then.
3 answers Last reply
More about first gaming system appreciated
  1. At what resolution are you playing? Have you looked at the GTX 460 benchmarks (here)? The few dollars saved could go toward getting an i5-760 instead (here).
  2. +1 for the first one with a HD 5850. The PSU is probably Cooler Master Extreme Power not "Corsair Extreme". On both rigs the mobos are quite cheap.
  3. I would encourage you to build your own. ^1 to Zenthar recommendations.

Go with GTX 460 1GB - wait until the new Intel CPUs prices filter down to the retailers.

As far as motherboards go, I strongly prefer (and therefore recommend) EVGA for their exceptional performance as well as superb customer/tech support. X58 if possible.

PSU ---> Corsair 650 Watts or higher.

RAM - Corsair 6GB of DDR3 (matched)

Win7 64-bit OS (review the differences between OEM and Retail before you commit).

Case - Cooler Master (pick the one you like).

CPU Cooler - CM Hyper 212 (good value)

Take your time, do your research, and then put your money down on the right horse!
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Gaming Windows 7 Systems