No signal to my monitor while trying to set up a new graphics card

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Displays
July 27, 2010 3:52:56 AM

While I was trying to install my new graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5750) onto my old dinosaur of a computer (HP m7570), I followed the instructions step by step as follows:

1. I disabled my onboard graphics
2. I turned it off, put the graphics card in the PCIe slot and plugged in the power
3. I plugged my monitor into the graphics card by using the included DVI to VGA adaptor.

But when I turned on my computer again, the monitor was black. I think the problem stems from either my old motherboard, which only had a PCIe 1.0 slot while the graphics card is a 2.1, the adaptor might not be working as it should be, or maybe something else. I know it's not the power supply since I bought a new one (650, more than the recommended 450).
What could be the problem? I'm not a professional, so any help or input is appreciated.

More about : signal monitor set graphics card

a c 169 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 27, 2010 7:03:27 AM

The card should work fine in the PCI-E 1.0 slot,because PCI-E 2.0 is backward compatbile with it.
Can you test the card in another system ?
m
l
July 27, 2010 7:18:38 AM

No, sadly I only have one PC to test it on
And this is my first time to install a graphics card, so I wouldn't know how things should go anyways...
m
l
Related resources
a c 197 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 27, 2010 12:37:15 PM

Many issues when people try to running 2.1 cards on 1.0 motherboard...
Still on warranty? Or send it back and get 2.0 version?
m
l
July 27, 2010 3:33:17 PM

The card is still fresh on warranty, but the motherboard is way past it.
Either way, I just want to make the two of them work together.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 27, 2010 5:44:27 PM

You can RMA it and tell them to test it on their system,this way you can be sure that either your VGA is defective or your motherboard is faulty.
m
l