What does Device Manager tell me?

WorldBeFree

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
This question seems to have been answered a couple of years ago by Anonymous, but it is of such enormity to me that I need corroboration. I have three computers(2XP,1Vista) with many external HDD's connected to each of them. On boot up, I always get an error message saying "this device would work better if connected to a high speed". Device Manager reports that I have "generic usb ports" and "generic usb hubs". I have been told by people in another forum that to have high speed ports (usb 2.0) I should be seeing the word "enhanced" in these various listings of ports and hubs. This seems incredible to me that all of my computers a stuck with puny usb1.1 ports! In each of these three computers i have installed 2 pci to 4-port usb cards
and they also give me that error message for ext. HDD's plugged into them.
Today I went to a BEST BUY store (noXP or Vista computers of course) and opened up the Device Manager in each of them. All but of one these computers reported "generic usb ports " and "usb root hub". That one computer did have a "enhanced" pci to usb " device, but it also said that it had a usb3.0 port. I talked to one of the"geeks" in their service dept. and he was adamant that a new computer sold in 2011 did not have usb1.1 ports. I'm very confused by all this. Could someone make a comment on this? Thanks for the reply.

Well, just today my pc gave me a similar message after I plugged my camera in!
I just thought it was an anomoly because I never get messages like that.

The first thing that occurs to me is I wonder if your chipset drivers are up to date. You may (and probably do) have USB 2.0, fairly common on even 3-4 year old machines. My system reports several generic USB ports and hubs. I have two "Standard enhanced pci to USB host controller". I also have 5 "Standard OpenHCD USB host controller." My motherboard is 3 years old, AM2+.

Its strange that the OS does not list these under system properties as USB 2.0. But it looks as though everything is working properly on my machine.

Consider running everest free:
http://download.cnet.com/Everest-Ultimate-Edition/3000-2086_4-10499291.html

Which gives very comprehensive system info. Check to ensure you are running the latest chipset drivers for your mobo.