Sign in with
Your question

Why am I not seeing a huge difference?

Last response: in Storage
December 6, 2012 12:13:57 PM

I’m having a hard time understanding why I am not noticing a huge difference with the SSD I just recently purchased. I got the Samsung mz-7pc128b on sale from Newegg and put it in my new build. I have cloned the drive to a spare Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM drive that I had to compare speeds of an identical install. The boot time of the Seagate is roughly 20 seconds from when you press the power button and on the SDD it is roughly 17 seconds. Shutdown on the Seagate is about 11 seconds where on the SDD it is about 9 seconds. The system doesn’t install programs any faster with the SDD over the Seagate drive as well from what I have seen when installing programs.

Maybe I’m expecting too much from the SDD but I’m wondering if this is the “BLAZING” performance that I can expect out of it and if so I’m going to return it for a refund since I am not impressed at all. I’ve got it running using a SATA III cable and in my SATA 6Gb/s port on the mobo as well. Any thoughts?

Here are the main components of the build:
MSI Z77A-GD65
I5-3750k
8GB DDR3 2133Mhz G-Skill Ripjaw X
EVGA GeForce GTX 680
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

More about : huge difference

December 6, 2012 12:59:14 PM

You must have a bad drive. Did you try to run some benchmarks like HD tune on it?
m
l
a b G Storage
December 6, 2012 1:03:01 PM

Is it set to AHCI mode?
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 1:27:28 PM

masterasia said:
You must have a bad drive. Did you try to run some benchmarks like HD tune on it?

I was thinking that, unfortunately this shipment from Newegg has yielded 4 defected items so far and this would be # 6. The best part is they no longer carry it. I have not, but I will do that tonight and see what those tests yield.

wanderer11 said:
Is it set to AHCI mode?

It is not which could also be the issue.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 6, 2012 1:30:39 PM

Did you do a fresh install or did you clone you hdd to the ssd?
m
l
December 6, 2012 1:42:45 PM

wanderer11 said:
Did you do a fresh install or did you clone you hdd to the ssd?

I did a completely fresh install. Opened the SSD, mounted it in the case, and installed.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 6, 2012 1:59:44 PM

You need to enable AHCI ( http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/... ) as it definitely does make a difference, it will require a registry hack before changing the BIOS setting.

edit: Ignore this :) . Ideally do a fresh install of windows 7, as a fresh install will configure properly for the SSD (if your original install was a fresh install, you maybe able to just do a registry hack, not sure), a reimage will not reconfigure for optimal SSD settings.
m
l
December 6, 2012 2:04:00 PM

Always do a fresh install.
m
l
December 6, 2012 2:10:21 PM

Be sure when you do a fresh install of Windows 7 on the SSD to unplug the HDD from your MB first.
m
l
December 6, 2012 2:20:16 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll switch the settings to AHCI and do another fresh install to see if that helps. :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
December 6, 2012 2:36:07 PM

It does sound like you have some tweaking to do. Having said that let me say I was unimpressed by the "blazing speed" claims also and I have 3 SSDs. They are faster but not what is implied by typical users and certainly not up to the benchmarks published by OEMs. It doesn't really matter to me because I didn't buy my first SSD for the speed. IMHO, the real reason to invest in an SSD is reliability. I don't think they're fast enough to warrant the price difference.
m
l
!