bandwidth coming... interest in reviving UT fragfests?

The near future should be bringing me a slightly less reliable, but much
faster upload connection. I'm brokering a deal for 3.5 megabit up and
ditching the damn cable modem.

As the subject line indicates, I'm curious to know if any of the old
regulars or even any of you newcomers might want to do a fragfest a couple
of times a month. I'd be willing to host a pair of dedicated UT servers
(say DM and CTF or whatever the mood dictates...) and a seperate web server
for the files... I suppose for those on the dialups, I could also throw the
necessary files into the binary group a couple of times.

I've been away a lot the last year and I'm afraid the ol trigger finger is
getting rusty. I'm going to be in and out for the rest of the month, but
I'm guessing that by the first week or two of next month, I'll probably have
the new ISP in and ready to go.

"§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The near future should be bringing me a slightly less reliable, but much
> faster upload connection. I'm brokering a deal for 3.5 megabit up

now that's nice ;oO

but what do you mean by "slightly less reliable"?

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

I'd love to play again. It has been what? 2 years since the last one on the
Clan fitz server. Tut and flash are sometimes on the Truff big and strange
server.

Visine

Margolis wrote:
> "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> now that's nice ;oO
>
> but what do you mean by "slightly less reliable"?

It is a wireless connection and the company providing it currently has two
to five outages a week lasting anywhere from two minutes to five hours at a
time. I'm having it brought in and if I can stand the outages, I'm keeping
it and telling my cable company to drop to their knees and...

What's the ping like with a wireless connection to the ISP? Bandwidth is
all very well but as I don't host a server ping is crucial.

I play mostly on UK servers Truff at the moment
http://www.truff.net/

And on NTL 3mb cable my ping is now down to 20ms on a good day 40ms with
heavy network traffic (Friday nights etc).

What ISP are you using? your in the USA ??

Vis

Crikey that's a ping of 400 from 5000 miles away. or a 10000 mile round
trip.

:-(

Visine

Even in a perfect system the minimum ping could be is just over 105 ms.

"§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I'm curious to know if any of the
> old regulars or even any of you newcomers might want to do a
> fragfest a couple of times a month.

I'm interested.

-Dan / Tuber

"Shinnokxz" <shinnokxz@charter.net> wrote in message
> I'd be able to participate. I live in Utah.
> --
> Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
> Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

Me too. I've not been "cannon fodder" for quite some time!

>The near future should be bringing me a slightly less reliable, but much
>faster upload connection. I'm brokering a deal for 3.5 megabit up and
>ditching the damn cable modem.
>
>As the subject line indicates, I'm curious to know if any of the old
>regulars or even any of you newcomers might want to do a fragfest a couple
>of times a month. I'd be willing to host a pair of dedicated UT servers
>(say DM and CTF or whatever the mood dictates...) and a seperate web server
>for the files... I suppose for those on the dialups, I could also throw the
>necessary files into the binary group a couple of times.
>
>I've been away a lot the last year and I'm afraid the ol trigger finger is
>getting rusty. I'm going to be in and out for the rest of the month, but
>I'm guessing that by the first week or two of next month, I'll probably have
>the new ISP in and ready to go.

I'd give it a shot (well, I'd get shot more often! getting "old"
<g>).

I have wireless and it's pretty darn fast. I had pretty good pings
the last time I tried UT2K4 on-line.

I live in Montana so I'm not *that* far away.

-fragPUP

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

pw wrote:

> I live in Montana so I'm not *that* far away.

My next two sentences will make no sense to anyone but you.

I'm almost certain your license plate is 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. Brian Schweitzer
threw a football at me a couple of weeks ago, and he throws like a girl.

Email me any time. The address in my headers is legit.

>pw wrote:
>>
>> I live in Montana so I'm not *that* far away.
>
>My next two sentences will make no sense to anyone but you.
>
>I'm almost certain your license plate is 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6.

2= Great Falls; Cascade County
3= Billings; Yellowstone County
4= Missoula; Missoula County
5= Helena (Our Capital); Lewis and Clark County
6= Bozeman (near me); Gallatin County

Myself: 49 = Livingston; Park County

If you have ListPro for either the PC or PPC I will send you the full
file for all the counties in Montana :)

> Brian Schweitzer
>threw a football at me a couple of weeks ago, and he throws like a girl.

He is one so far!

>Email me any time. The address in my headers is legit.

Thanks!

-paul