Need Advice Please

brikki

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
HI. I really dont know alot about computers. Having said that, here is what I like to do. I play Warcraft. My problem is when I do a 25 man raids and the fight starts my fps basically goes from 30-40 fps to 2 fps.

What would cause the fps to drop so badly?

Here is what I play on, and I know its dated so thats why I am asking your advice to see what my options are.

Dell XPS 400
2.8 ghz duel core
2 gigs ram at the 533 bus
ATI Radeon HD 4650

I dont have alot of money and I found this setup for 250 bucks.

Full Sized Aluminum ATX case w/ clear side panel
AMD x2 4200 (2.4GHZ per core)
1.5 GB of ddr2 mem
Asrock AliveNF6G Motherboard (Nvidia 520 chipset)
Geforce 8800gts 720mb version
Western digital 160gb sata hdd
DVD and CDRW drives
450 Watt ATX power Supply

My question is should I waste my money and get this and upgrade it or wait and save.

I am open to any suggestions since I really dont know.

Thanks

I would say try a better power supply and double up the amount of memory you have before buying that system. You will need a better balanced system to have it running at full potential.
If you want to keep your current system upgrade the memory. That would be the cheapest thing you could do for now. Add to that a good power supply (500 watts) and you can upgrade the graphics card as well. Probably for about that amount of money you can make your system rock solid.
The other system that you described does not have enough memory to help any application and will require an additional investment for that. Other than that, it should run Warcraft fine.