Sign in with
Your question

ASROCK Z68 Extreme4 Keeps booting to bios?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 17, 2011 6:55:45 AM

Hello all,

Just got a new PC. Im running:

ASRock Z68 Extreme4
Sandybridge 2600K
Evga GTX 570
Windows 64 Bit

Runs like a dream, only problem so far is that whenever I shutdown my computer keeps booting straight to the bios. I used to "clr CMOS" button on the motherboard itself, it tends to boot straight to the operating after that, however on the next boot, it'll boot right back to the bios. I have no cd's in my drive, and my boot priorities are good. I don't think it's the cmos actually because the time isn't getting messed up. I tried using ASROCK instant boot which helps, but that thing is a pain in the arse. Any suggestions? I've been stuck on this for a few hours. >:( 
July 17, 2011 8:27:07 AM

Ok, seems to be working now *cross fingers*. It seems that the clr cmos button doesn't clear all the settings. I removed the cmos battery, the graphics card and rechecked my sata connectors (the gtx 570 is huge and partially covers both the sata connectors and the cmos battery which are pretty badly placed)... In case anyone else has this problem...
m
l
July 17, 2011 8:32:15 AM

Remember to update your BIOS as soon as you can. The Asrock Extreme4 comes with a pretty bad version of the BIOS and alot of it's issues can be sorted by just updating them with the most recent drivers.

It is a nice board from what I hear and is probably the one I'll pick up if Bulldozer fails to impress.
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2011 8:48:45 AM

Heh, turns out it was a usb device that was causing the problem. Specifically a MIDI controller. I don't know why or how, but with the MIDI device off, it boots fine. I'll look into updating the bios though, thanks.
m
l
a c 238 V Motherboard
July 17, 2011 5:32:44 PM

luckycypher said:
Heh, turns out it was a usb device that was causing the problem. Specifically a MIDI controller. I don't know why or how, but with the MIDI device off, it boots fine. I'll look into updating the bios though, thanks.

As a rule, do not update your motherboard bios unless it will fix a problem you are having. A failed bios flash can cause problems, and possibly permanently brick your motherboard.
m
l
July 18, 2011 12:37:41 AM

I am having this same issue! It started after I added a second Radeon 6970 for crossfire. When you say you disabled the MIDI controller, did you disable something in BIOS?
m
l
July 24, 2011 1:01:07 AM

geofelt said:
As a rule, do not update your motherboard bios unless it will fix a problem you are having. A failed bios flash can cause problems, and possibly permanently brick your motherboard.

Thanks geofelt, didn't know that, really good to know.

jgoody said:
I am having this same issue! It started after I added a second Radeon 6970 for crossfire. When you say you disabled the MIDI controller, did you disable something in BIOS?

No I didn't have to do anything in my bios. My particular MIDI controller has a power switch in the back, so instead of unplugging it I can just flip the switch and it boots up fine. Unplugging it works just as well too though. Since you suspect it's your crossfire, I wouldn't even know where to start (as I do not know what was actually causing it and you obviously can't unplug your video card every time you boot), I got lucky since it was just my MIDI controller. It really is an annoying problem though, best of luck figuring it out.
m
l
July 24, 2011 10:08:47 PM

Got mine working by removing the CMOS battery (which you mentioned seems to be more comprehensive than the button), and I swapped the cards (card 1 where card 2 was and 2 where 1 was). Boots fine now.

Thanks for the help!
m
l
July 25, 2011 11:03:33 AM

No problem, glad this thread proved useful. :) 
m
l
!